customer boat service database needed

rsturbo 09:06 24 Jun 14

i want to create a database of boats I repair, the names of the customers linked to them (they may be sold over time). and a few more details include paint number used boat registration number and a few more. can somebody tell me what to use? I want a nice simple form to input the data and a simple way of searching the data. I know of filemaker and access... but don't know how to use them and am open to suggeations of other cheap programs

thank you

Woolwell 10:45 24 Jun 14

It depends on how complex the database is and whether you want a flat or relational database. Are there likely to be more than one customer for a boat (eg resold), more than one paint scheme, etc? A spreadsheet is one of the simplest forms of a database but doesn't cope too well with more than one entry per boat which is where the likes of Access come in. LibreOffice (free) has a relational database and I suggest that you give it a try but the learning curve could be steep.

Woolwell 10:50 24 Jun 14

When working on a database decide what information you require out of it first.

SparkyJack 12:12 24 Jun 14

As with Wool well Pen and paper first. Draw a chart with column enough to accomodat the items to list. Put it aside then a look again,does it need changing? When satisfied then is the time to create the spreadsheet template. By

the way Libre Office is an excellent place to go for a FREE office suite.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…