Custom PC, Media / Value

myphrill 23:17 20 Dec 04

I'm planning on building my own pc come January sales and being a student, i wont have more than £500 to spend so im building my own pc.
I already have 512mb 266MHz DDR-RAM and a GeForce FX5600XT-256MB graphics card.

I need a pc that can perform well with large photoshop files, new games such as Halo, Doom3 etc and one that can store plenty of media files.

AMD Athlon 64bit 3000 seems good to me or will a AMD Athlon XP 3000 do the job just aswell?

Will 266MHz DDR-RAM be fast enough for todays gaming? (I plan to make it 1GB of RAM but will 1GB at 266MHz be fast enough?)

I need some overall advice to reassure me ^_^ thanks.

Steve N 23:40 20 Dec 04

Well for games I'd say ur already shooting urself in the foot with the GeForce FX. I have a 5900 Ultra which I got a year ago and wouldnt want to play any of the latest games on anything slower...But then I like my graphics :D. Doom 3 should run fine with slightly lower settings though.

Def go for 1GB RAM though it makes the world of difference! Faster RAM is obviously better and you may find it to be cheaper than getting new RAM of speed 266.

As far as storage goes it is all very cheap now. Rather than one drive I'd prob recommend two. Then you can have a back of ur stuff on the other one just incase, and put ur page file on a seperate drive to ur OS too. As well as the scratch pad for Photoshop.

Althon 64s are good. Check out a few review sites:

click here
click here

They all have some good reviews and links to some other good sites too.

I am a student and know where ur coming from. But you have a good budget there if you spend it wisely!

myphrill 23:46 20 Dec 04

Shooting myself in the foot? my GeForce 5600XT has a better graphics core than the 5900 i believe, if im right in believing the 5900 is 128mb. FX5600XT plays Halo effortlessly and Halo is a graphicly intense game. and the 128MB version was given 8/10 by gamespot.com and mines 256mb so it cant be as bad as you say.

1gig of ram does sound nice, but how crucial is speed? how much difference is there between 266 and 333.

Steve N 23:52 20 Dec 04

The Nvidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra has 256MB RAM and is higher end than the GeForce FX 5600 Ultra. Hence the bigger number. Are u sure urs is not an ATI Radeon 9600XT (just a thought)?

As far as RAM speed is concerned I know faster is better but by how much I am not sure. There maybe some comparisons on those websites I pointed you too?

myphrill 23:54 20 Dec 04

mines not the 5600 Ultra. Mines the 5600XT. the XT model is EXTREMELY RARE and is 256MB unlike the Ultra. lol please take back the remark about me shooting my foot. i love my graphics card! it was a bargain and is a top rated card by gamespot and.....i love it!!!

Yeah i'll look at those sites now, sorry, i forgot as i got defensive about my beloved graphics card *kisses it*

myphrill 01:09 21 Dec 04

can anyone else help?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…