Custom PC build - unsure about motherboard choice.

zarathustra2008 10:14 06 Feb 09

My current PC is slowly on its way out, so rather than wait for it to die, then panic buy, I'm looking to purchase a custom PC now through Ankermann (a German based company).

I do a lot of graphic design work, so I mainly need it for Photoshop, Illustrator, Video Editing etc etc. I may occasionally play the odd game, but very rarely have the time (still it would be nice to have a machine that is capable).

I've gone with AMD for the past decade or so, but would feel like trying Intel this time. I also chose the duo core, as I've read that the quad isn't really properly supported yet, and you wouldn't have much of an advantage.

This is my current chosen Spec based on the Intel PC config (click here), which totals 615,18 euros (I know, not a good time to be converting sterling).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU
ZZ Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 LGA775 PC1333 6MB Cache 3,17GHz

MOTHERBOARD
B ASUS P5Q Pro P45 S775 ATX

HARD DISK
Samsung 750GB SATA F1 HD753LJ 7200 32mb

RAM + UPGRADE
DDRAM2 2048MB PC800 Kingston
DDRAM2 2048MB PC800 Kingston

VGA CARD
(ZZ XpertVision GF 9800GTX T2D PCI-E 512MB)

HARD DRIVE
DVW LG GH22LS30 SATA black LightScribe bulk

CARD READER AND FRONT PANELS
Revoltec Star Serie 8in1 Cardreader/USB 2.0 HUB PROCYON II r

POWER SUPPLY CONFIGURATION
Netzteil ANKERMANN 600W ATX 120mm L├╝fter Retail
----------------------------------------------------------------

I've chosen the motherboard partly because it has 3 usb ports, and firewire built in, which I need.

Any advice from somebody who knows more about such matter would be greatly appreciated. My original budget was 600 euros. My absolutely maximum budget would be 675 euros.

howard64 10:36 06 Feb 09

I have built 2 pcs recently using the asus p5q pro and it is one of the neatest mobos I have seen in years. It is very good and works very well and no complaints from the new owners. The E8500 is also the cpu that I put in so in my view you have got it right. You do not mention the op system - I would suggest if you are going for 4GB that you ask for a 64bit system as, I have heard, even vista 32bit has problems handling above 3GB ram.

zarathustra2008 12:25 06 Feb 09

Thanks fo rthe reply Howard - good to know it's a sound board. I will have to give the operating system some thought. At the moment the price doesn't include an OS and I do have a legit copy of Windows XP, so don't really want to pay out more if I can potentially help it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…