Custom PC - Boot Problem

AxlDLuffy 09:54 04 Sep 09

Hello everyone, I just bought my new PC. Custom built. I assemblied it, piece by piece. So I power on the PC. The MoBo logo is shown, I enter the BIOS, set up as first boot device the DVDRW in which I have the Windows DVD. Reboot but instead of entering the setup of Windows I get the following message: "Reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". The DVD of Windows has NOT a problem cause I tried it on my laptop and it boots.

Any ideas?

Thank you..

howard64 09:57 04 Sep 09

do you have more than 1 optical drive? this is the message you would receive if the wrong boot device is selected. I have a dvd drive and a dvd writer. If the wrong one is used at boot up I get that message. If only 1 it is either not working or being wrongly selected in the bios.

AxlDLuffy 10:03 04 Sep 09

I have 1 optical drive, a DVD RW. It is brand new, so I guess ( I hope...) it's working.
"being wrongly selected in the bios"? I have it as the first device to boot from. Any other idea? Anyways, thank you for the quick response.. :)

chub_tor 10:09 04 Sep 09

Re-check the connections to the DVD and the hard drive. Are they Sata or IDE?

chub_tor 10:13 04 Sep 09

Also you may see (for only a second or two) a
message that states something similar to: PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD/DVD.

If you don't comply the computer will pass through and try to boot from the hard drive.

AxlDLuffy 10:21 04 Sep 09

I recheck them, everything seems to be right-connected. Both the DVD and the two Hard Drives are SATA. So I have connected them to -supposed to be- place in the MoBo. I have an ASUS Crosshair III Formula if that helps.

chub_tor, I was hoping to see the "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD/DVD" message. As I said, the whole PC is brand new, so the Hard Drives are empty. All I want is to install Windows... :(

Thank you.

AxlDLuffy 11:00 04 Sep 09

It is the first time I assembly a PC piece by piece, so I may have done a stupid mistake. Please, state me the obvious, maybe that helps...

I am Spartacus 12:41 04 Sep 09

If you have setup the SATA DVD to use AHCI rather than IDE emulation (they may be use different names in your BIOS) then there may be an option in the BIOS to set a delay time for it to be detected.

I had a similar problem with the DVD being detected and set a 20sec delay. I found it better to use IDE emulation instead as there appears to be no noticeable performance difference.

chub_tor 12:58 04 Sep 09

Here is a link click here to the Forum for your board and click here III Formula&product=6&os=24 is the support page.

I have downloaded the manual but cannot find a link to start up messages.

I am presuming that when you looked in the BIOS to set the boot sequence that both your hard drives and your DVD drive are recognised in the BIOS?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…