Custom computer compatibility question(s)

kazza123 14:21 PM 19 Aug 11

I am thinking of building a new computer primarily for gaming, I'm shopping around for parts and know about compatabillity for case - mobo, mobo - processor, heatsink - case, processor/mobo etc etc etc etc but a question is this, what about the PSU and the case? Is there any kind of formfactor for the PSU like ATX etc? Are they all a general size or do they all largely differ? Is there any way to know that everything will fit into the case prior to buying all the parts? Thanks for your help in advance!

HondaMan 14:46 PM 19 Aug 11

PSUs are much the same. If in doubt, check with the case manufacturer

gengiscant 14:52 PM 19 Aug 11

Unless you are going to be building a mini-itx PC with the smallest form factor then virtually any PSU will be fine, do not Penny pinch your PSU it is one of the most important components.

The biggest compatibility issue you are likely to encounter is RAM, I have been building for some years an can still get problems, but if you get your components from a reputable firm you will have no bother swapping the RAM if you have problems. Most mobo manufacturers have CPU/memory support lists so always good to check.

Don't forget thermal paste,that's caught me out more than once.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to choose a photographer

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone