custom built pcs: what are the pros and cons?

simongy 10:36 18 Aug 03

I am quite new to computers and I was wondering is it better to go to a high street store- like Dixons, comets, pc world etc? Or look at local companies who build to order?
Does anyone live in the Grimsby area who can recommend someone?

keith-236785 10:55 18 Aug 03

The Cons as far as i am concerned are

1. No warranty

2. No one to turn to if it all goes wrong

Everything else is a PRO,

feeling of achievement in building your own system.

getting exactly what you want without all the "free extras".

the ability to upgrade without fear, cos when you have built your own you have done it all anyway.

only installing the software you want. no extras like "Freeserve" etc.

+ you also know Exactly whats in your system. no suprises when you format and cant find the drivers cos the shop didnt supply them.

Good Luck building your own computer, Just dont rush it mate, nice and easy does it.

keith-236785 10:58 18 Aug 03

if you want a pre built system them do a search online for computer shops in your area, or buy Micro Mart (on sale every Thursday £1.60) it has a lot of adverts for pre-built or build to your spec systems.

Yes i did just read your post again and realise i had got it wrong.

oops

HighTower 13:19 18 Aug 03

I would always go for custom built but through a reputable company rather than someone you know at the pub who is good with computers. Check you get a warranty and you should be fine.

Quiller. 14:04 18 Aug 03

Hi

You could try Cram computers at Europa house, modder st. Ashby. Scunthorpe.

click here

I get alot of my bits from there. Although not the cheapest, they are handy. They will build to your specification.

pj123 16:09 18 Aug 03

You could also try here click here

palinka 17:22 18 Aug 03

There's been lots of discussion recently on this.In this forum and in Consumer watch.
Chances are that the local computer shop will be more knowledgeable than Dixons, Comet, etc ; and if you have a problem the local shop will be on hand to sort you out (more than can be said for Dixons , Comet, etc). And finally, you're more likely to get the product you want, and not all sorts of unwanted (but costed) so-called freebies.
At least go in to your local shop, explain what you want, and ask for the price. People often assume that it's bound to cost more than a computer from the high street big names, but that's not so; and you get far better after-sales service from your local man.

dac2000_uk 17:37 18 Aug 03

The pros of buying from a small local firm is that it does cost much less and they will build a computer to suit your needs, if your a gamer, they'll have a system for you, if your a designer they'll have a system for you etc etc etc. However I feel reassured to buy from a larger firm such as dell, sony, packard bell etc because at the end of the day despite paying that little bit more you have more to fall back on, they offer better warranties and many of them for example dell, offer next day on site repair.

mosfet 22:20 18 Aug 03

It's cost a lot of money to find out many local shops are just bluffing,AND a local "expert".In the end I turned to PCA helpline (first call £40 but worth it) thereafter this forum.Iv'e now sorted (with help) 1 hardware & 3 s/ware faults myself.PC is now great.If I need to I would re format & start again.It doesn't frighten me any more,& Iv'e enjoyed doing it.Don't trust the locals.
Les

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:35 18 Aug 03

Let's put it this way...I buy computers from PCWorld rather than the 'small shops' around here. It would not take a genius to work out why.

G

rev.bem 23:56 18 Aug 03

You have lost your A to Z ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…