custom built freezing on start up - vista

Hoovie 16:18 05 Jul 09

Hey,
I recently upgraded my old computer, went out and got a new hard drive, GPU and Vista, unfortunately its not running to well. I noticed that Vista was extremely slow to install, even moving from one menu screen to the next took for ever. Total took me about 8 hours to install. But once i was able to log on everyone was up to speed, i was able to install my mobo drivers and updates windows and restart and log in fine. Then I installed my GPU drivers, restarted and now it either gets stuck on the welcome screen (the little circle stops spinning) or doesnt even get to the log on screen. I thought something in Vista might have been corrupted so i totally reinstalled it and I still have the same problem. Then i thought that my PSU wasnt supplying enough power to my GPUs so i connected second PSU (450W) just to a fan (to make sure its running) and one of the GPUs and still nothing.

Here is what im running...
Windows Vista Home Basic 32bit

MSI P6N SLI-FI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4Ghz

(2x) A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

(2x) Geforse GTS 250 OC

SATA Barracuda 500GB 32MB Cache 7200RPM

PowerTek Power supply 750W

I know that the recomended CPU for the GPU is 500W so maybe connecting my second PSU did nothing and i just need a larger PSU. I went to a website to see how much power my compute was using by filling out the specs and it said something around 650W...

Im running the two GPUs in SLI mode ( X8, X8 ) with the bridge connected ( although there is a small dent in it)...

In a little while i think i might try switching it back to 16X and taking one of the GPUs out, but the only thing that will confirm is that its a second GPU problem, whether its not enough power, im doing SLI wrong, bridge is broken...

Any Advice? Thanks..

sunnystaines 16:29 05 Jul 09

ages ago had problems similar with vista using a liteon dvd drive changed drive and all ok.

some sort of clash with liteon and vista as it worked ok with XP.

Hoovie 16:46 05 Jul 09

Well i just unplugged my lightscribe drive and when i start it up normally, it goes to the loading screen (all black with the bar on the bottom) and then just goes black but i can see and move hte mouse around for a little and then that freezes..

When I try to start it up in safe mode I am able to log on.. I went to the control panel, and disabled the second GPU and restarted the computer and I am able to log on, although something that is wierd is that I have two monitors connected to the first GPU but it only recognizes one of them.

OTT_Buzzard 16:55 05 Jul 09

Running two GTS250's your current PSU is very borderline. Definitely worth upgrading, even if it isn't causing you issues now, it will be in a few months time as it begins to age.

click here

Hoovie 17:21 05 Jul 09

Quad Core 2.4Ghz cant handle two GTS250's? What would I need?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…