Cursor with a mind of its own

irwin24 15:01 05 Oct 05

Just got an new optical mouseand the cursor often won't do what I want. It can be hard to drag it where I want - sometimes as if on elastic, other times like dragging through treacle - and sometimes it just suddenly flies off to the edge of the screen and it takes a while to find it. (The old rubber ball mouse had the treacle problem)
Might be related to the fact the PC sometimes runs very slowly, with software very slow to load and often with the hard disk clicking away intermittently. It also freezes and gives BSOD regularly too! I have Win98.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Lozzy 15:20 05 Oct 05

Do you have win 98 SE if not upgrade to second edition or even better to XP. That will cure your issues as Win 98 is not good with optical mice or USB connectivity. Win 98SE is much better but if your going to upgrade then migrate to XP.

irwin24 15:48 05 Oct 05

Its Win98SE.
The mouse is a Microsoft one - says its designed for 98! Using the PS/2 adaptor connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…