Cursor goes crazy: Mouse problem

Chubbington 23:31 01 Jul 03

If i leave the computer connected to broadband for a while (an hour or so) while I'm elsewhere, I sometimes come back to find the cursor rushing madly over the screen fiddling with the task bar, ripping scraps from documents, and generally panicking me by constantly changing the look of the desktop. It can only be stopped by switching off, taking the mouse out and re-booting. After a day or so I can usually sneak the mouse back in until it happens again. I've cleaned the innards of the mouse, and run a virus programme and it's not sorted it out. Anyone else have this happen, or have any suggestions as to what to do?

Giggle n' Bits 00:57 02 Jul 03

Sorry, couldn't resist.

What Mouse do you have, Make & Model and which Windows.

There has been lot's of post's in the last 6 months like this, but not as funny to read.

Is the mouse picking up any vibration from the surface, is it a cordless mouse ?. Try newer batt's ?. Mouse the sensor thing away from your Monitor & Speakers. Make & model, erhh driver update if any required.

Steven135 01:02 02 Jul 03

Don't want to panic probably nothing but do you have a firewall installed? Just wondering if someone has put a trojan on your system? And now has access to your computer.

If not that then its probably time to retire your rodent.

Terrahawk 01:30 02 Jul 03

one and the same click here

-pops- 06:36 02 Jul 03

There is a "joke" program called Crazy Mouse that can do similar things to those you describe.

Quiller. 06:51 02 Jul 03

This is long but worth a read.

click here

Steven135 10:21 02 Jul 03

You could try turning down your graphics acceleration a notch to see if this helps.

Andsome 12:09 02 Jul 03

To check for 'crazy mouse'. Start/search then type crazy mouse, and ensure that the search is set for your hard drive. Any icons resulting can be right clicked and deleted.

Chubbington 23:39 02 Jul 03

Firstly, sorry about the repeated post, I find it hard to work without the mouse. The mouse is a Compaq M/N M-S S34, if that's the right number and I'm running Windows 98. I have a Toshiba Laptop (also mentioned on that previous string, curiously). I can't get it to work properly at all today, and have run various searches/virus checks so will get a new mouse and report back.

woodchip 23:49 02 Jul 03

If it's optical use a A4 paper for a matt

Chubbington 00:48 24 Jul 03

yep, got a new mouse and all seems well. Thanks everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…