//some 3rd party need geo

Cursor Freezes

thebishop 10:53 30 Sep 04

I have a major problem with the cursor freezing regularly but particularly when first switched on.PC is fairly new, running XP and has been back to manufacturer but they insist it is a software problem.It sometimes takes up to 3 shutdowns to free the cursor.I don't have any games or unusual programmes loaded. I am using AVG free edition anti virus and that has not detected any problem.
I think it may be something to do with an icon which keeps appearing on desktop. It is an ordinary white icon with a "screen" in the middle of it with the red, blue and green dots but has the ~ symbol underneath. It is a 185Kb file in documents and settings folder. Have deleted it from search several times but it eventually comes back on the desk top - maybe not for several days. What is it and how can I get rid of it. OR - does anyone know of any other reason why cursor freezes.

VoG II 11:05 30 Sep 04

click here but I doubt if this is related to the freezing.

canard 14:21 30 Sep 04

Download Process Viewer or EnditAll and check what's running on your PC when the mystery icon appears. If it's a ram hog there is the option kill in dropdown menu . This will stop it running. Then use the start-find menu option to locate the app and eliminate it. If it has embedded itself into your registry try Spybot and Adaware to remove the nusiance.If it recurs after this you need advice from a reg expert.

skylark101 20:17 30 Sep 04

I had a very similar problem with screen freezing in Win'98 which was driving me mad, eventually I had to reinstall Win'98 for another reason and have had no problem since - although I had no mystery icon - so I concluded that it may have been a corrupted graphics file, so, you may like to save any important files and use the XP restore disk, this may put a stop to your screen freezing problem and also get rid of your little icon! best of luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…