//some 3rd party need geo

Cursor disappears and webpage freezes

Sky Gazer. 04:58 19 Apr 04

Hi, wonder if anyone can help. i am a complete novice with Computers!

In the last week occasionaly when on-line and inputting text, such as writing an email, my cursor disappears and the page freezes. I booted up again to then reaccess web.My ISP is Tiscali & I have windows XP.

I did a virus scan with Norton all OK there. And not getting any unusual sounds from hard disk.

I first noticed on my previous keyboard this was happening and thought that might be the problem, as when typing, sections on the web page would blurr across the page. So I got a new wireless keyboard and mouse. Now the problem is just as described above, cursor disappearing and web page freezing.
I haven't had this happen off-line. Although I have not done any typing off line so dont know if it would happen then.

Any ideas what it is or how I can fix it? Or any other info you need to know?

Diodorus Siculus 08:12 19 Apr 04

One thing you can try is the system file checker

go to start

run

and type in

sfc /scannow

note the space after sfc and that there are two n's in scannow

You will need the xp CD.

Diodorus Siculus 08:13 19 Apr 04

One thing you can try is the system file checker

go to start

run

and type in

sfc /scannow

note the space after sfc and that there are two n's in scannow

You will need the xp CD.

Sky Gazer. 18:20 19 Apr 04

That's great, thanks I'll try that.
Doesn't seem to have been a problem today. I downloaded spybot after i posted and did a scan with it. It found 150 spyware files etc and got rid of them - perhaps that was the problem? I had already got Adaware but spybot did a more thorough job of the rest. did a disk defrag to and disk clean; all that was Ok. and zonealarm is still up and running.
guess im doing all the right things!

but as for check system files, new one on me - i'll get round to that later and let you know how it goes.
thanks again.

Diodorus Siculus 18:26 19 Apr 04

Sounds like you are doing the right things; just ensure that you have everything updated - Spybot and AdAware both have regular updates posted, as does windows via windowupdate.com - a free CD with all the updates is also available fom MS: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…