Currency conversion/exchange rates

peabody 17:33 21 Nov 07

Does anybody know of a FREE service that would provide currency exchange rates to be used in a web-page? This is to provide pricing in a choice of currencies (I only need 4 of them) via PHP calculations (I have found a service that requires $1,000/month subscription - no thanks!)

The alternative is to manually maintain a db table holding the exchange rates which could lead to inaccurate pricing.

Thanks.

DieSse 01:09 22 Nov 07

Linking to a Currencyimport/export trader should give you what you need.

For instance look at what HIFX provide. I had a link for just € to £, precoded by them with a neat banner.

click here

You might even like to become an affiliate and earn some dosh if people do transactions via your link.

I'm sure some of the other big names in the fiend do similar things.

peabody 11:15 22 Nov 07

The pop-up converter is a useful tool and I've made use of it. However, what I really want to achieve is for a customer to click on their national flag and the page will display pricing in their currency. So I need to get hold of exchange rates in real time automatically for use in a PHP script. I think it looks as though such a service has to be paid for - through the nose! Unless anybody knows differently ...

Thanks anyway.

DieSse 12:10 22 Nov 07

Why do you think it's necessary to have real-time currency conversion? I don't think most sites do - and they give a disclaimer about the approximation.

Remember that if customers order by credit card, the exchange rate charged will be what the card company charges at the time of the billing - and you'll never know that.

peabody 14:57 22 Nov 07

It isn't necessary - you're quite right. It would have made it more user-friendly to display pricing to overseas customers to give them an indication of costs in their own currencies and therefore increase their interest in the product. Payments for the services being priced (in this case golf course green fees) are only taken in sterling anyway. It was just a 'would be nice to do' and now wont't get done!

Thanks for your interest.

Blackhat 22:35 22 Nov 07

Have you looked at this option?

click here

peabody 16:44 24 Nov 07

Had a look - it may help if I can capture the variables produced by the converter. Also need to make the converter run with no manual input. I'll report back if/when i get somewhere. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…