ctr.alt.delete - minimum to leave running in XP?

Carafaraday 22:37 11 Oct 04

In 98 before I defragged I would ctr alt del to leave only the bare minimum running - could someone please tell me what the essentials are for XP?

stalion 22:39 11 Oct 04

I already answered this for you on your post for Sunday!

Carafaraday 08:54 12 Oct 04

Stalion - thank you for your replies - I did read (and acknowledge) Sunday's one, booted into safe mode, and deleted the file as you suggested. Thanks.
I felt this was a separate question and really hoped someone would specify the exact files I need to leave running - I'm pretty certain that deleting systray causes an immediate crash for instance.
I also hoped that someone might point me in the direction of a website which I believe identifies the various bits and pieces which run behind the scenes.

VoG II 09:03 12 Oct 04

Is click here any help.

You should not need to close things down to defrag in XP. Try using this click here

Or close things down using click here

Carafaraday 09:15 12 Oct 04

Thank you for the links. Not sure which one but one of them immediately tried to download a file which I hadn't requested or wanted.
Do I really not need to stop things running in order to defrag? I used to go through a great long process in 98, changed power settings so pc didn't shut down, disabled AV, and stopped all but essentials from running. In XP is it only the power settings I need to worry about?

VoG II 09:23 12 Oct 04

In XP only the power settings, yes.

The second of my Click Heres is a download of Diskeeper Lite - an alternative and very fast defragmenter.

Carafaraday 09:30 12 Oct 04

VoG - thanks. Much easier just to adjust power settings. I won't bother with the ctr.alt.del!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…