BBez 01:44 06 Jan 03
  BBez 01:44 06 Jan 03

while trying to install a game by Sierra "Homeworld", during setup I'm getting an error stating that "ctl32.dll is not correctly installed in the Windows\System directory".

AMD Athlon XP 2000 CPU with Chaintech Apogee Delux Mobo running 256MB DDR RAM, 30GB Seagate HDD, GForce 2 MX 400 32MB SDR AGP graphics card and Windows 98se (installed from original 98se CDRom without any Windows Updates eg Direct X 6.1 etc).

Have replaced the .dll file with one that's included on the "Homeworld" CDRom (modified date June 98 instead of Windows 98se March 98 date).

Ran sfc.exe and no files are bad.

Also tried extracting the .dll file from the .cabs on CDRom, no difference.

Latest via 4in1 chipset drivers and latest NVidia Reference Drivers (40.72's WHQL ?)

Keeps kicking me out of games (more than one) after about 10 minutes and need a reboot usually to get back to desktop.

Also tried to install the game with DirectX 8.1 installed,

any help, links or advice, thanks in advance...

dez fowler 01:56 06 Jan 03

first i'd try getting some windows updates and all the latest drivers for your chipset and cards, in particular the AGP driver for the motherboard

the windows update site should suggest some fairly up to date drivers for some of the hardware which the microsoft ppl will have tested so go with them to start with

jazzypop 01:59 06 Jan 03

Have you download the patches from sierra.com?

BBez 12:14 06 Jan 03

dez fowler, it's the latest Via 4in1's from Via's site which include the AGP driver.

jazzypop, yes, got the 1.05 patch for the game.

thanks for the responses, will leave post open...

BBez 18:15 06 Jan 03

back up to top

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…