CRYPTOWALL 3.0 fix ??

Furkin 12:36 22 May 15

Hi guys,

Anyone got a fix for this dreadful disease (or the address of the planks that send it ???)please ?

cheers

F

tullie 13:52 22 May 15

Have you tried Malwarebytes?

rdave13 15:01 22 May 15

Unfortunately there is no easy fix for this. Bleepingcomputer has a an article about CRYPTOWALL 3.0 and worth reading it all. Click here. Good luck. Let us know how you get on, thanks.

bumpkin 15:53 22 May 15

Assuming that you have back ups a clean instal is probably the best option. Use disk wiping software as well as format to clear the drive/s.

Secret-Squirrel 17:50 22 May 15

Chaps, I've a feeling Furkin's query is related to his previous thread.

I was hoping for the promised feedback regarding the "data recovery firm" he engaged. We also made some good progress restoring some affected files using the Previous Versions feature - I guess that success was short lived :(

bumpkin 19:37 22 May 15

SS, curious, the orininal posting in your link dates back about 2mnths so would have thought it was sorted by now even if no feedback. Furkins profile shows as a member for over 11yrs. It seems likely to me if that if you did have the unfortunate experience of Crytolocker or similar that you would ensure that it does not happen again.

bumpkin 19:52 22 May 15

None of this sort of thing is a problem anyway if you have decent backup.

Secret-Squirrel 08:29 23 May 15

Oooh Bumpkin, I assumed this was a continuation of last month's problem, but now you mention it, perhaps he has been reinfected with the same pest - he wasn't using any anti-virus so I suppose it's possible :(

Furkin 12:18 23 May 15

Cheers guys,

This is indeed the same problem, but I didn't know exactly what it was at the time. The data recovery firm that I gave it to only told me this week. They confirmed that it’s Cryptowall 3.0 but can’t do anything with it. I had back-up on separate disc – though internal. It just backed up the ‘virus’ as well.

I run Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes and something else that I can’t recall.

Although I could access ‘previous versions’, apparently this no longer works.

I should have the machine back next week, with 2 new hdd’s in, so will need to start afresh. My back-up drive will be external from now on !

I’ve told them to leave the infected data on the old ones, so will still need to look into it as soon as someone comes up with a known fix. I have an old pc, so will get that up’n’runing, & keep it separate from my proper kit, to try the infected drives on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My laptop is also buggered. Over the past few months, I put 2 new hdd’s in, as well as 2 new memory sticks, battery & digital mouse. I even had the graphics card re soldered at a place called ATI,,,,,,, but when I tried it, to download Win 10, it packed up. It only had 60 days warranty.

The data place I tried says that they (ATI) probably did something wrong, as the M.B is now ruined. I’m rather loathe to sling it as I’ve spent so much on it,,,,,, but is it worth a new (or used) M.B ?

HP Pavilion 9500 : Quanta 30 DA 85 24 :: AMD Turion 64x2 TL60 :: Crucial 2gb x 2 :: Scorpio 160Gb x 2 :: Nvidia 8400 GS :: Win-7 ult (32)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m sorry if you guys think I’m not following your advice, but I do it as good as I can in my circumstances. I hope you can bear with me.

All the best for now.

Baz

rdave13 20:18 23 May 15

I don't think laptops are worth repairing unless a simple connection or display problem is the cause.

In my previous link, there is a link to Cryptoprevent.

Whatever you decide I would certainly install the free version of Cryptoprevent as well as a free Antivirus and an antimalware software.

bumpkin 21:16 23 May 15

thanks for the link rdave, I have added it to my armoury.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos