crtl alt del vanishes

fitzln4 16:18 03 Apr 04

when i press ctrl alt del, the window appears for a second then disappears. I think its caused by a "hotmail hacker" virus, but all removal guides use ctrl alt del in the process.
please help

MichelleC 16:53 03 Apr 04

Have you done an online scan at housecall click here

cycoze 18:11 03 Apr 04

Hotmail Hacker i believe comes with swen virus , try downloading and running the latest version of stinger click here , if it is this virus it should sort it out.

Cesar 11:09 04 Apr 04

Try Right clicking on the Task Bar and click on Task Manager and see if that works.

fitzln4 20:57 05 Apr 04

right clicking does not work ,and im on 56k, so housecall wil take ages.
ive got avg 6 free and spybot s&d, both updated regularly, but neither pick it up

hugh-265156 23:34 05 Apr 04

not sure sorry.try this just to see if it starts:

click start/run and type taskmgr.exe and click ok.does it run?

also try right clicking the start button/explore.

navigate to C:/windows/system32 and find taskmgr.exe listed on the right.

when you click on this does it start? if so,you could maybe as a temporary fix,right click it here and select "send to desktop/create shortcut"

what i would maybe try is click start/run and type "sfc /scannow" click ok.

this will search for and fix or replace any damaged or missing system files.you may be prompted to insert your windows cdrom into the drive if you have one.if windows came pre installed you should not be prompted to do this.

temp003 05:52 06 Apr 04

Are you using XP Home?

Can you also check whether you can run msconfig and regedit?

Click Start, Run, type msconfig and press Enter.

Click Start, Run, type regedit and press Enter.

To use any of these applications for the time being, you can try making a copy of each of the .exe files and renaming the copies with a .com file extension.

If your computer does not show file extensions, in My Computer, click Tools, Folder Options, View tab, and untick the box "Hide file extensions for known file types". Click OK.

Locate the relevant files on your computer. Task Manager (taskmgr.exe) is where huggyg71 says it is. Make a copy of the file, then rename the copy to taskmgr.com (and confirm the change when warned). Don't rename the original files. Rename the copies.

regedit.exe is at C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe. Rename the copy to regedit.com.

msconfig is at C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe. If it's not in this folder, just do a search for msconfig.exe. Rename it to msconfig.com.

Double click any of the .com files to see if it will launch the application.

Post back.

fitzln4 20:26 07 Apr 04

renaming them .com works, but they dont run from the run box.
icant see any of the files listed in the virus info page running, so maybe the files are just corrupt

ayrmail 20:42 07 Apr 04

click here
The 2 links are to do with a file called winlodr.scr which caused not only task manager but misconfig and regedit to fade from screen almost as soon as they appeared.

ayrmail 20:45 07 Apr 04
  temp003 05:01 08 Apr 04

If you think it's just a corruption of all 3 files at the same time, by all means try sfc /scannow.

All the signs are that there is a virus. The fact that you have updated AVG and it still can't pick it up is no reflection on AVG. On previous threads, and other reports on the internet, other Antivirus programs didn't either - incuding Norton and McAfee - I don't know why they can't.

Another thing you can try is boot into Safe Mode and (1) try using the 3 programs from the Run box to see if they work in Safe Mode (2) do another virus scan in Safe Mode.

The same thing happened to ayrmail. It may not be the same virus, and the virus file may have a different name on your computer. But if AVG doesn't pick it up and you're not prepared to do an online scan, the only option left is to remove it manually. The first place to look is the startup tab in msconfig to see if there are funny entries. Msconfig doesn't always give the complete picture of startup items, but that's a start.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…