crt text

perrier 18:41 29 Oct 05

are text in crt monitors sharp as they are in tft monitors??

Diodorus Siculus 18:43 29 Oct 05

All depends on the monitor - a high end CRT used to be better than most TFTs but as I say, it depends on the monitor

woodchip 18:47 29 Oct 05

If it’s a decent Crt they should be better. As a CRT is better for Graphics as You can zoom right in and edit better

Djohn 18:54 29 Oct 05

I'm afraid the answer is no. TFT's especially the ones made in the last 9 months or so are far superior with text than a CRT can ever be. They do need the clear tuning applet downloaded from microsoft though to give their best.

Looking at the text on my TFT at any size is just as clear, sharp, and well detailed as that in a high quality magazine. I very often sit at my monitor for 12 to 15 hour stretches, [Short breaks in-between] and no eye strain at all, an imposible thing to do with a CRT.

PaulB2005 19:12 29 Oct 05

I have two monitors on this PC.

The first is an expensive (at the time) Iiyama 17" which is excellent for text and is much better than many (but not all) of the TFTs i have used - which is quiet a few.

The second is an old Tiny 19" which is very poor on text but does the job when i need two screens. It's also very good for displaying pictures and DVDs.

"I very often sit at my monitor for 12 to 15 hour stretches, [Short breaks in-between] and no eye strain at all, an imposible thing to do with a CRT."

I also still at my CRTs for long periods but suffer no eye strain - often 6-7 days a week for 8 - 14 hours a day.

I think you need to judge any prospective CRT or TFT yourself. I've often been with someone when they've marvelled over the quality of their expensive TFT and i feel like I'm looking through a blurred screen. On the other hand I've also been with someone and commented on the clarity of their CRT monitor only to discover it's some bargain basement model.

Djohn 19:20 29 Oct 05

Each to his own PaulB2005. But if you have looked at an expensive TFT and found the text to be anything less than pin sharp, you should have checked they were set at the correct resolution, or suggest they were returned for replacement/refund as they obviously had a fault.

Diodorus Siculus 19:22 29 Oct 05

Back to what I said originally I think - depends on the monitor!

PaulB2005 19:25 29 Oct 05

"But if you have looked at an expensive TFT and found the text to be anything less than pin sharp"

Sorry. What i was trying to say was i found the text blurry and the owner didn't. My eyes are tested every two years and i only wear glasses to correct a slight lazy eye which leads to headaches after 3 hours of reading.

The sharpness of the text on any TFT or CRT seems to vary widely in my experience but it also seems to depend on the viewer hence i said better judge any prospective purchase yourself. I've sat in front of a expensive TFT for 30 minutes and gotten headaches but the owner thought the text was "razor sharp" - how can i argue?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…