CRT or TFT - for digital imaging

minter 20:52 28 Aug 03

I do a lot of digital photography/imaging and am going to update my monitor. At present I have a 17" CRT but am thinking of going for a 19" monitor.

I have been told by a couple of friends that a TFT monitor is no use for the likes of Photoshop, and to purchase a CRT.

Does anyone know why I should not purchase a TFT screen.

Is it worthwhile increasing from 17" to 19", or a waste of money.

minter 20:58 28 Aug 03

Oops, sorry - wrong forum.

wee eddie 21:06 28 Aug 03

TFT's have a more limited control of tone and colour, which may be critical when you are working on a digital presentation.

CRT's, my advertising are hard at work in the back office. TFT's are only for Receptionists

hssutton 22:05 28 Aug 03

I've been using PS for the past few years, now on PS7. 90% of my PC work is photographic based, I switched from a 19" Nec CRT to a 17" TFT and I just love it, Mind you all my work is non-professional.

Patr100 00:28 29 Aug 03

If you are workjng in a professional field where accurate calibration and prediction of colour is important then a good CRT will probably have the advantage but for general everyday use you will probably not notice the difference.

Filch 13:13 29 Aug 03

With a TFT you will probably find it difficult to get the screen image and the print image to match and it won't be consistant from image to image. A CRT can be calibrated to match. Calibration programmes can be expensive, but Adobe Gamma which comes with Photoshop and Photoshop Elements does a good job. But each paper you use must be calibrated. A TFT can't be calibrated. However, with a bit of trial and error a TFT can be used with acceptable results. Much depends on the TFT and the printer being used. This assumes you are using Windows - if using Apple and Photoshop there won't be much of a problem, if any.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…