CRT Monitor Screen Suddenly Turned Mauve

griffon 56 12:43 24 Jun 05

My 5 year old Belinea 10-30-20 17 inch display flickered once and then became overlaid with pale mauve. I've degaussed it and adjusted brightness and contrast, switched it on and off and changed the resolution, but it remains the same. Any ideas?

Diodorus Siculus 13:38 24 Jun 05

Does a bang on the side do anything? I mean that seriously, as it worked for a while with one of mine once upon a time!

Also, check that no pins are damaged.

Nightmanager 13:51 24 Jun 05

I wonder if one of the three electron guns has failed. You have red green and blue guns that fire electrons at the screen, if one of these fails it would cause a similar effect (I think)

SEASHANTY 15:01 24 Jun 05

Bad connection on the SVGA plug. Try a wiggle of the plug at the rear PC connection. That usually shifts the Pinky colour which occurs from time to time (i.e. every time the SVGA lead shifts) on my Medion 15" TFT monitor.

wee eddie 15:28 24 Jun 05

As Diodorus Siculus says, the likelihood is that one of the guns is failing. It happened to me a few years back. Same sort of colour as well.

Several sharp dunts with one of my trainers kept it going for another couple of months, but it was a dead man walking. By the way - I put a blanket over the screen while I hit the back end.

This is a good excuse for a few hours window shopping. 2nd hand CRTs are pretty cheap these days as rich folk buy TFT's, so you could find one locally.

ashdav 16:55 24 Jun 05

the green gun has failed. Time for the bin and a visit to the shops I'm afraid.

Stuartli 17:20 24 Jun 05

There are plenty of outlets such as click here selling big screen reconditioned monitors from £35 upwards.

Alternatively, e-Buyer does new 17in monitors from around £47 plus delivery.

griffon 56 17:52 24 Jun 05

Thanks everybody for the humorous and practical suggestions. It's gone back to normal after a shutdown but I think it'll return in all its glory later. As they used to say in the RAF - if it isn't fixed you're not using a big enough hammer.

Regards

SEASHANTY 19:37 24 Jun 05

Guess you must have shifted the cable. Be careful of the sharp knocks on the casing. I tried that and had to open up the PC and remove and reinsert the graphics card before the PC was back to normal.

griffon 56 14:04 28 Jun 05

Re-seating the cable at the computer end seems to have cured it. Fingers crossed. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…