Is CRT dead?

Ditch999 22:14 09 Jun 08

Was reading Tim1964s post about changing his CRT to an LCD monitor.

I have a 19" ADi CRT monitor and the picture is far superior in relation to colour, brightness, viewing angle and sharpness to that of an LCD (IMHO!) You also have the benefit of being to adjust the resolution and refresh rate which an LCD cant do to the same degree.

I have just looked at about half a dozen online big etailers and NONE of them have any CRT monitors for sale!

Are the days of CRTs over?

skidzy 22:21 09 Jun 08

" Are the days of CRTs over? "

Probably yes !

I have two old crt monitors rigged up in the workshop and would not swap them for a flat screen.

In the house,we have four lcd screens connected to computers,seven if you count the flat screen tv's capable of running a pc on them.

Though im not one for worrying about adjusting the brightness/contrast etc...i do find the crt's more robust.

I think the main reason for the flat screens is space saving and the look nice feel factor.

Technotiger 22:22 09 Jun 08

I would hazard a guess that the answer to that one is a big fat Yes! That's progress for you.

Mind you, you are not quite right about LCD and adjustments, I am using a 22" LCD, it has plenty of adjustments, in conjunction with my Nvidia graphics card.

theDarkness 22:53 09 Jun 08

I liked the idea of an lcd at first.. but coming back to reality.. i would probably end up spending the majority of my time counting all those dead pixels on screen rather than attempting anything worthwhile!! :) lolaaaargh. To be honest i havent tried any out but from what i read the brightness is pretty poor on most unless youre viewing dead on.. although thats prob not a problem for most (sober!) people :) i think when the prices come down and those screen sizes get bigger you wont have much of a choice.. as far as i can tell most major chains will have surely stopped "traditional" crt monitors by now! Lol

Chas49 23:28 09 Jun 08

theDarkness:

I use an LCD t/v as a monitor - a 37 incher! Bo dead pixels that I can see- but - as you may guess I do have defective vision. Even so, it's great!

I remember the last 28" CRT t/v I had - it took two blokes to shift it 8-)) - the LCD is just about right.

CRT's? Until this thread came up I'd forgotten them! Yup - I would say that they are as dead as the dodo.

woodchip 23:33 09 Jun 08
  Woolwell 23:45 09 Jun 08

Have only just realised that the ads to the right of the threads are targetted. The ones for this thread are about CRT.

To echo Technotiger I have an LCD (19" in my case) and I have plenty of adjustments (brightness, contrast, etc and settings for photos, movies at a touch of a button). This is a NEC and there are no dead pixels. I think to a certain extent you get what you pay for.

Stuartli 23:46 09 Jun 08

Well I'll be keeping my 21in Belinea CRT monitor for some time to come - it offers a brilliant display, clean and clear text and fast responses.

It does take up a little more desk space than my previous 17in iiyama monitor, but nothing to worry too much about.

I'm not in the flush of youth, but I can still move it whenever necessary for decorating purposes etc.

woodchip 00:07 10 Jun 08

I have a 19" and 17" Crt's

woodchip 00:07 10 Jun 08

No tft's only my Laptop

theDarkness 00:13 10 Jun 08

I guess the downright heaviness crts will be their downfall in the end, even if to some that may double up as quality! :) I think we have a while yet before lcd completely takes over the market.. i dont know anyone with a pc that has bothered to upgrade just yet. I think what initially put me off was the fact that lcd displays did not seem to have a very long shelf life before loss of quality (a mere couple of yrs before id be on dead pixel alert, constantly checking that screen, lol).. im sure the technology has probably improved since then but i guess the only way is to buy and try. My crt is still going strong, although i guess a widescreen monitor is quite attractive to many. Lol including myself.. Ill start saving now. Lol!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now