crss.exe- how to remove it please?

wots it all about 09:29 29 Nov 05

Hiya. In task manager i found crss.exe and on doing some research found that it shouldnt be there at all. A search on the pc shows nothing, but why is it in task manager? how can I remove this then please? I have all the recommended anti spyware and AVg. I have run loads of online scanners too. Any help would be great.

Stuartli 09:42 29 Nov 05
  Stuartli 09:44 29 Nov 05

If you don't have it already install Microsoft's AntiSpyware, update it and then do a Scan, from the Microsoft website or:

click here

wots it all about 10:04 29 Nov 05

Hi. thank you for that. I have checked out those sites before, but they dont offer specific removal instructions. BTW, "wintasks 5 pro" is heavily advertised and recommended on some sites, what do you reckon on that?
Just an update: I have just done more scans and in task manager crss.exe is not now showing! BUT, cSrss.exe is now showing! What's that all about!

MAJ 10:07 29 Nov 05

Make sure it's not the genuine Windows file "csrss.exe" that you are seeing, wots it all about.

MAJ 10:08 29 Nov 05

Sorry wots it all about, we overlapped there.

wots it all about 10:15 29 Nov 05

Ok! so thats ok then. Although I see that the following could be true (from click here)

The csrss.exe which is from Microsoft is located in the c:\windows\System32 folder. We've been able to find one virus that runs as csrss.exe to fool you.

Nimda.E - Symantec Corporation

csrss.exe is a Windows System File and should be in a system directory. If it is then this application is safe.

So I shall ensure it is in the correct directory!

MAJ 10:22 29 Nov 05

Yes, the genuine csrss.exe file will be in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder but it will probably also be in the C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ and the C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 folders. It's usually when you find it in another folder (other than those) that you need to be careful.

wots it all about 10:41 29 Nov 05

Yes it is in those 3 folders, so i think this thread is resolved! Thank you so much, as always.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…