Crossover / Patch Cables?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:01 11 Jun 05

Asked for a crossover cable to connect two PCs together with onboard LAN. Cannot get to work suspect incorrect cable hence the question:-

Can you tell patch from crossover cables just by looking at them?

Cable states 24AWGx4P TYPE CM(UL) C(UL)CMH E164469-F3

YFC UTP CAT.5E PATCH ISO/IEC 11801 &EN50288 &TIA/EIA 586B.2 3P VERIFIED FOR 1GIG ETHERNET

bremner 15:16 11 Jun 05

If the connectors are clear then in a straight through cable the connections looking from left to right will be the same at both ends. ie the colours will be the same

In a crossover difeerent coloured cables will not be exactly the same.

I know this is obvious but X Overs normally have ut written on the cable sheath too.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:40 11 Jun 05

Thanks for the reply

Colours definately different but as in first post UTP on cable.

Get message limited or no continuity sticks at aquiring IP address.

Also tried wireless built in on the MEDION XP HOME

dongle on the other running XP PRO which ever machine I run the wizard on I get no wireless network in range (they're 6 inches apart) also same thing with the laptop running 2K pro.

I have almost given up trying to connect.

bremner 15:52 11 Jun 05

I assume you have considered Firewall's on either machine blocking the connection

Taff36 19:28 11 Jun 05

I had a similar problem with cables at home and gave up too. Wireless is simpler so tell me a bit about the two computers wireless connections and we`ll have a go.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:16 11 Jun 05

Main PC = Medion P4 1G mem connected to internet with BB USB modem.
internal card RT2500 USB wireless LAN card.

Old PC athlon 1.2 512M mem 802.11g USB2.0 wireless Lan adapter.

Used wireless network setup wizard to put settings to old PC.

when attempt to find wireless network get no wireless network in range.

tried using net set wizard on old PC to put setting in new PC now both PCs show two networks using either still gives mesage no networks in range.

selfbuild 23:27 11 Jun 05

click here .... This is what you are trying to setup.... right?

Taff36 23:39 11 Jun 05

I think you`ve got to have a wireless router (Access Point) in there somewhere which you don`t have. The wireless LAN cards cant`t see each other they need a router to route information to each other. click here (Hope I`m right on this)

This one works for me and I`ve set up a few in the last couple of months. The best package is available here because it is a bundle including a USB adapter. I think you`ll find that to buy the router on it`s own costs more at PC World in-store but less on-line!

Taff36 23:46 11 Jun 05

Thanks again - Brilliant Link - Bookmarked. Follow that one Fruit Bat!

Taff36 02:38 12 Jun 05

Sorry forgot my link to the best package click here Also spotted this link from Djohn about how to get PC World On-Line prices at your local store click here Absolutely brilliant - good old PC World marketing eh!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:05 12 Jun 05

Thanks will give it another go but struggling on client computer

Message "depending on what software is running your wireless network may not run see MS 871122"

Tried everything on 871122 still getting nowhere

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…