Crossover ethernet network

millomite 19:27 01 Mar 06

Hi All

I wish to connect two laptops together so I can use the same internet connection. My laptops connected to the internet via USB ASDL. I have bought a crossover cable and connected the two laptops together using this. Can anyone provide a dummies guide to getting it to work?

mgmcc 22:41 01 Mar 06

Connect them directly with a crossover CAT5 ethernet cable. “Internet Connection Sharing” is then enabled on the actual Internet connection (the ADSL modem connection) in the “host” PC and the “client” PC will have Internet access provided the “host” is running and online.

When you enable “Internet Connection Sharing” on the Internet connection in the “host” PC, it automatically configures the Local Area Connection with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. The “client” PC’s Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the “host”. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or “ICS” traffic will be blocked.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

This arrangement will additionally allow you to run File and/or Printer Sharing across the network.

If you are running any firewall software, it needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers, often done by adding their IP addresses in the "trusted area".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…