CROSSFIRE ARRGGGHHH!!!!!!

BaboonBoy22 20:33 04 Jan 09

Does anyone now about Crossfire?
I have a Asus P5Q WS mobo that is supposed to support crossfire. I say supposed to because there is nothing mentioned in the manual. (But it does have the 2 PCI-E x16 slots). I have 2 Sapphire HD 2600 XT cards one came with a link/bridge. Do I need 2? Do I need to set anything in the BIOS?

Any help would be great as I've been trying to find stuff on the net about this for ages and it's doing my head in. Some sites are saying I need 2 crossfire bridges some are saying just the 1. ARRGGHHH!

I am Spartacus 20:54 04 Jan 09

You need 2 connectors on the cards. There may be a setting in the BIOS that needs enabling although it was enabled as default on my Asus board, look for something called Cross Impeller Graphics.

BaboonBoy22 11:22 05 Jan 09

Are all the CrossFire bridges standard? I've seen some on ebay

I am Spartacus 12:05 05 Jan 09

There's at least 2 different types. The early ones required cables to be plugged into the cards externally. The later ones that look like the ones in this link click here|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318 are the latest ones and connect internally.

I am Spartacus 12:06 05 Jan 09

P.S. How many do you need? I'm sure I have at least 1 spare.

BaboonBoy22 13:21 05 Jan 09

I just need the 1. One card came with one the other didn't. I was so frustrated because I've finished putting together the rest of my new pc and it's just this one piece that's holding everything up. It was one of those "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" moments.

I am Spartacus 13:46 05 Jan 09

Click the yellow envelope next to my name and give me your address details. I'll put one in the post, it's roughly 70mm in length which I think is the standard size.

BaboonBoy22 21:39 10 Jan 09

OK I have the cable now. (Thank you Spartacus) I've just powered my machine on for the first time and no output from the cards. I've tried all 4 DVI's and nothing. Now I seem to be able to find F all about setting up crossfire for the first time. Do I just connect the cards and then go? Or Should I just be using 1 at first and then installing the 2nd once my machine is up and running with all the drivers and what not?

I am Spartacus 21:55 10 Jan 09

I don't know why it took so long to get to you. When you install a couple of cards only the first one will be recognised even if you've installed the drivers. You need to run the driver installation routine again for the additional card to be recognised.

I would suggest just fitting one card, install the drivers, shut down (switch power off), insert new card and connect with the 2 cables. Restart and then install the drivers again. You then need to go into the CCC to setup Crossfire (simple tick in the box).

I am Spartacus 22:03 10 Jan 09

You use the DVI connector on your left as you're facing the back of the PC, in other words the one you'd normally use.

BaboonBoy22 11:48 11 Jan 09

I have taken out the 2nd card, So I'm just using the one. And nothing. I have used it in the 2nd slot and still nothing. I really dont know whats wrong with it.
Here is the full spec:
Asus P5Q WS mobo
Core 2 Quad Q6600
2x 1GB DDR2 SDRAM
200GB Sata & a 400GB Sata
2x HD 2600 XT 256MB (1 is ddr3 1 is ddr4)
800Watt PSU
3 optical drives and a floppy/card reader
Everything seems to be getting power to it, all fans and lights are on. I am completely stumped.
Just to say this is a new build so I'm trying to get into BIOS to set everything up.
On my first build I'm sure I had to do stuff with the jumper on the mobo, but in the manual for this mobo its telling me to do nothing, well it tells you how to do it all but not that you have to. I am just sure that I did more before I got to this stage. All I've done is put everything together.
PLEASE HELP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…