Cross over cable software

ruskle 19:40 03 Feb 06

As a self employed telecomms systems designer I have an old laptop which holds a lot of clients confidential data. It has no USB or Cd writer but does have serial port and a flopy drive. The newer laptop has no floppy drive but also holds data and I would like to have it all on the new one. I have a crossover cable but don't know how to use it and cannot afford to lose the data on the old laptop by experimenting with it,so need to have it set up first go.
Is there software I need and can it be downloaded? I don't want to risk letting anyone transfer the data from floppy to CD, as I said before it is confidential. I suppose I could buy a USB floppy drive for the new machine but as this transfer will be a one off it is the second choice.

Hope someone can help before start of play Monday.

Thanks Russell.

Belatucadrus 19:48 03 Feb 06

Couple of questions :-
What variety of Windows is on these laptops ?
Are they both equiped with functional Network interface ports ? Both lappies need one or the crossovers as much use as a piece of wet string.

alan227 19:53 03 Feb 06

To use a crossover cable you need an ethernet connection (Lan) on each of the laptops.

ruskle 20:05 03 Feb 06

The new one has everything, the old one has serial, parallel and Modem. It was used for connection to terminals via serial port to check data transfer and varous settings. I guess from what you tell me I will be off to buy a USB floppy in the morning, I have just priced them on the net at under £20 and we have a few little PC merchants in the town who have bits and bobs at fair prices.

Cheers chaps.

Russell.

ruskle 20:09 03 Feb 06

The new one has everything, the old one has serial, parallel and Modem. It was used for connection to terminals via serial port to check data transfer and varous settings. I guess from what you tell me I will be off to buy a USB floppy in the morning, I have just priced them on the net at under £20 and we have a few little PC merchants in the town who have bits and bobs at fair prices.

Cheers chaps.

Russell.

Belatucadrus 23:41 03 Feb 06

click here is another possibility.

Longhouse 00:20 04 Feb 06

If data amount is not too large, you could try Direct Cable Connection as supplied with windows OS. Its pretty slow but will do the job. You'll need a null modem cable or data transfer cable (TX / RX crossed).
Look in Windows help to walk through setting up DCC.

Longhouse

Longhouse 09:43 04 Feb 06

Sorry Belatucadrus....thought you had posted link to cheap external floppy (I confess, I didn't look).

ruskle...as you need this done by Monday you might be quicked driving down to your local Maplins to get a cable click here

ruskle 17:14 04 Feb 06

I already have a dual serial port TX cable, It has a Y at each end with both 9 and 23 pin female connector. I will now try the Windows OS prog as suggested by Longhouse. I have backed up the data to 21 Floppies just in case! and it will be ready to use on a USB floppy drive if it work work. I priced the USB drive at my local 1 man band (Asian) shop. It is £17 and he opens Sunday (of course) so I will bash away tonight and have tommorow for plan 2.

Thanks all.

Russell.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac