Cross-over cable

Newuser2193 14:35 08 Apr 04

I have just networked three computers through a network switch. However I inadvertently used a crossover cable on one computer to the switch. However the network seems to be working fine! How can this be so if I've used the wrong cable ? I intend to replace the cable with a patch cable but have I risked doing any damage?

anon1 15:03 08 Apr 04

Doubt if you have done damage it would be more likely that the crossover cabled pc would not work in the group.

geeuk 15:24 08 Apr 04

The switch will know you have a cross over cable attached and will use it instead of its internal cross over. If you replace it with a straight through cable it will manage the cross over its self. Its doing know harm.

Newuser2193 22:05 08 Apr 04

Thanks for the replies. Am I then right in thinking that I do not need another cable?

duckers 22:19 08 Apr 04

You are indeed correct.....
Incidentally you can buy adapters that convert a normal cable to crossover for about a quid at computer fairs,, theyre well worth the investment and you never need to worry about cable types again, you only ever need a straight through patch cable and an adapter.
click here and look at the top advert,, these are expensive though at almost a fiver, last time I bought some I got 4 for a fiver so as always look about,,,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…