cross link help

rudman 11:43 22 Oct 05

I have a cross linked error and have read on the forum about the causes and that running scandisc may sort the problem. As my laptop hangs at the 'windows is starting up' screen,(XP home) is there any way I can run scandisc??
If so please help with exact instructions as anything less will be over my head.

Cheers

MAJ 11:47 22 Oct 05

If you can boot to Safe Mode, try running chkdsk /f (scandisk) from there. To get to Safe Mode, tap the F8 key while booting and choose Safe Mode from the options.

MAJ 12:01 22 Oct 05

Or try the "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" option from the same place. When the Command Prompt appears, type:

chkdsk /f

and press the Return key on your keyboard. Note that there is a space after "chkdsk", you need that space there.

You will be told that Chkdsk can't be run at the moment, you will be asked if you want to run it at the next bootup, choose Yes (Y) and reboot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…