Cross Hard Drive Contamination

DJ-Garry 10:54 25 Apr 04

I have 2 120Gb HDDs. One has a 'dirty' XP pro installation, ie. messy in and un-installs, various virus' and trojens. I 'THINK' I've cleaned up all the virus and trojens (not 100% sure) but still have some strange tool bars in IE etc. I also have a nice new 'CLEAN' install of XP pro on the other HDD. I need to transfer lots of dat from the old to the new. If I connect up the old HDD as a slave to the new, is there a chance of anything NASTY being transfered over (apart from the wanted files which of course will be scanned for viruses)?
As I understand it, because the old HDD wont be the system drive, things 'should' be ok?

Thank, Garry.

keith-236785 11:22 25 Apr 04

it is possible tha any nasties on the "dirty" h/d could infect the clean one, only way to be sure is to try.

would be better perhaps to swap hard drives, then boot up, if you have internet connection, click here, download, install and run a full scan of the hard drive on ATS (anti trojan shield), it will tell you if you have any nasties hiding. then click here and do an online virus scan, once you have done these and dealt with what they find, it should be safe to put the drive in as slave and get the files you want.

once you have all the files you need, Format the old drive to ensure you have got rid of them.

DJ-Garry 02:30 26 Apr 04

Many Thanks paperman27.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…