Critical Updates Freezes Startup

Border View 11:21 14 Oct 05

I run Windows 98SE. Have Avast antivirus and Zone Alarm. Earlier this year I downloaded Critical Updates KB888113 and KB891711 and found that next day when I restarted my computer it froze solid. Had to use Go Back to revert hard drive to before installation. Problem solved.

Yesterday did a check on MS web site for updates and saw that these to CUs had newer versions, so downloaded them. Guess what? This morning computer froze solid - again had to use Go Back to revert to before installed CUs.

Has anyone else had this problem and am I in dire danger if I dont install them?

Wak 12:15 14 Oct 05

I also run Win 98SE and had problems with KB891711 as it runs in the Start-up file.
Go to Start/ RUN type msconfig in the box and click OK.
Go to the Start tab and remove the tick from KB891711 and see if it cures the problem.
I removed this update altogether and have never replaced it. System now runs normal.
I have had the other update (888113) installed since March 2005 with no problems so I assume this one is OK.

Border View 12:22 14 Oct 05

Hi Wak, Thanks for responding. I've reverted my hard drive so neither of these two are on my system any more. Wonder if I should try installing just 888311 and forget about the other, or forget about both. Again thank you for responding.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…