Critical Update Win Media Player Script KB828026 ?

JIM 13:11 23 Feb 04

is the above Update producing problems for anyone else?

This Windows update continues to be called for even though my previous installs have been successful as shown in recorded log below.(Should not be require a daily install)

Anyone having the same problem? or aware of any spyware product etc. that would or could be the cause of it needing continual installation?
Any pointers to aid a poss cure would be helpfull please.

Jim.

Windows update installation log for (KB828026)
---------------------- --------------------------

Critical Update for Windows Media Player Script Commands (KB828026)

20 February 2004 Successful. Web site

21 February 2004 Successful. Automatic update

22 February 2004 Successful. Automatic update

23 February 2004 Successful. Web site

Diodorus Siculus 13:42 23 Feb 04

You may find that uninstalling the update via add/remove programs, then rebooting and reinstalling will help.

Stuartli 14:43 23 Feb 04

I downloaded and installed this particular HotFix on XP Pro without problems - it's listed in Add/Remove Programs along with the other HotFixes.

blanco 18:06 23 Feb 04

I had the same trouble with even Belarc telling me that it was installed successfully, but did find removing and a fresh install cleared whatever snag it was.

JIM 21:24 23 Feb 04

Diodorus Siculus,Stuartli,blanco.

I did not require this update untill recently as i was still using the older version of Media Player.

Have taken the route of uninstalling/reinstall and looks promising so far.Will let it ride for a day or two before adding the resolved tick,just incase.

Cheers. Jim.

romanab 21:57 23 Feb 04

I have had the same problem for the last two weeks and have had to disable auto update to stop the bugger from repeatedly downloading.This also started after getting m.p.9 but the patch,I believe,was already installed before upgrading to 9,this just seems to have had an adverse effect on it.I have tried uninstalling-rebooting-reinstalling to no avail,I have saved patch to disk then uninstalled/reinstalled that way again with no luck.Prior to a reinstall of xp I had m.p.9 with no problems so I don't know what it is either and would also love a solution.

marilynbell 22:53 23 Feb 04

I've downloaded it twice and at the moment I don't know if I have it installed at all. I ran spybot last night and it picked it up as spyware

leo49 22:55 23 Feb 04

If this problem recurs you can get a script to fix it from Kelly's

click here

Tweaks category: Line 266

spuds 23:15 23 Feb 04

I think a number of people have had problems with this particular download. Three times it as come up on my automatic updates in as many days.

JIM 01:11 24 Feb 04

Many thanks for the input and information.
Appears now i am not alone with this update issue and as said, more annoying than major prob. :)

leo49, Thank-you for the link and trouble taken to pinpoint the Line 266 (Prevent Prompting for Hotfix KB828026) Taken now by me, it is an old problem that i have just encountered which if needed will help others and myself.

regards, Jim.

JIM 10:05 24 Feb 04

Hotfix KB828026.I had encountered some problems when uninstalling the above hotfix.

At the time i brushed it aside, not actualy believing information that i may have problems with other applications on my system when uninstalled.

There was no mention of problems as such, when reading the (more info on the hotfix)before the installation.This appears not to be the case as the Hotfix KB828026 does affect other registered programs.System restore has so far i hope taken care of that but time will tell time.

Again,auto updates popped up on first bootup this morning asking once more to install Critical Hotfix.May try out the suggested script to fix it reluctantly.

I am beginning to think this hotfix for the Media player 9 should have been applied,long before any other updates in the past were installed. Including the upgrading of the player.
It may have changed the way the hotfix and Win updater reacts now?

If anyone does attempt the uninstall of the Media Player hotfix,would suggest that they approach it with a little caution.

Jim.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…