critical update KB 2183461 failed to install

earthlover 17:32 12 Aug 10

Automatic Updates downloaded 10 new updates today, but only 9 installed.

After several attempts I still can't install KB 2183461 which I read is an important update which fixes 6 problems in I Explorer.

I looked on the Microsoft site for help but found absolutely nothing. Also my computer is very slow at the moment, which could be because I installed Comodo 4 two days ago. May have to uninstall that.

Can anyone help me download the update, please?

birdface 17:59 12 Aug 10

This one for XP so not sure what you are using.

click here

rdave13 18:02 12 Aug 10

click here
Manual download but pick your OS.

birdface 18:06 12 Aug 10

Not sure now underneath that click here there are another 2 for the same update but different versions make sure you pick the proper version.

earthlover 18:50 12 Aug 10

Thanks buteman and rdave13 for your replies,

I did the download for xp SP3 IE8 but it failed again. This time I got a message "set up could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the cryptographic service is running".

It is running, and I restarted it to make sure, then downloaded the update again but still not installing.

birdface 18:58 12 Aug 10

I wonder if it would download in safe mode.

birdface 18:59 12 Aug 10

Or maybe try with Comodo Firewall turned off.

earthlover 19:09 12 Aug 10

Already tried with comodo off but no luck.

Will try safe mode.

Thanks.

Am I the only one having this problem? Strange.

rdave13 19:12 12 Aug 10

Check your update history and click on the failed update to get help and support..ahem. Might help.

earthlover 21:13 12 Aug 10

Well, the problem is now solved.

I switched off to restart in safe mode and saw that the update symbol was on the turn off button so I thought maybe all it needed was to restart to update.
I switched on again and update symbol was still in taskbar, so I clicked on the download that I had saved to the desktop. That started and after a while a box called 'software update installation wizard' or similar came up and started inspecting files and backing up. Took a few minutes of finger crossing while installation progressed and everything seems fine now.

Hope this will help anyone else with same problem.

Thanks again for your help guys!

rdave13 21:16 12 Aug 10

The reboot worked again. Thanks for the feedback and glad you're sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now