Critical System Warning - trojan and worms

BingoBoy 09:11 24 Aug 09

URGENT help required - my home PC has been displaying a Critical System Warning saying that my system is infected with Trojan.Win32.Agent.azsy. It is also flagging various worms that have been found such as Bloodhound.PDF.8 - what can I do to get rid of these viruses?

My PC runs XP home service pack 3 and has not had any problems with viruses in all the time I have had it. I am not technically minded when it comes to IT so any advice will have to be in basic language.

birdface 09:23 24 Aug 09

Download and update then run the free version of Malwarebytes.

click here

DieSse 09:32 24 Aug 09

Also remember - sometimes pop-up windows with warnings like this when you're on the web, may be an advertising scam to get you to download some specific software - often malware itself.

BingoBoy 09:39 24 Aug 09

Currently using AVG free anti-virus which does not seem to find any problems.

birdface 09:49 24 Aug 09

Yes but what Anti-Spyware programs have you got.I would run any one of those 2 click here's that you got.Maybe both if need be.

BingoBoy 09:56 24 Aug 09

I have the AVG anti-virus and use CC cleaner. I don't run any anti-spyware currently. Looking at the security centre on my control panel it appears that everything is on.

I presume that this trojan is responsible for the Personal Antivirus icon that has appeared on my PC and is flagging 36 items and is also trying to force me into purchasing some software - which I have not done. I cannot see this software when I go into the add/remove facility so is this what this trojan does?

birdface 10:07 24 Aug 09

I would download and run some of those programs mentioned.But it may be to late they probably will not download now.Just try one and see.
Does AVG still update.

BingoBoy 10:12 24 Aug 09

I will have a go with the programmes mentioned when I get back this evening.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:55 24 Aug 09

Your AV or antispyware programmes will NOT stop or detect these types of infections. You have inadvertently given the programme permission to install whilst you were surfing. Malawarebytes will get rid of the infection and I would run it in normal mode first and then do a deep scan in safe mode.

G

BingoBoy 18:38 24 Aug 09

Thanks for all the advice. I have downloaded the free Malawarebytes and run it and it has found the Personal Antivirus programme which was causing this problem and booted it out,

Great work.

penholder 10:57 06 Sep 09

Having same problem but recently installed Norton 360 appears to have removed Personal Anti Virus except for one annoying pop-up. Have downloaded Malawarebytes to usb stick as PAV stopped me from doing so on infected PC. How do I run a deep scan in safe mode as suggested by Gandalf?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…