Critical system errors

stlucia 08:31 08 Dec 05

Ever since I reformatted, and reinstalled Win XP last weekend due to the blue screen of death, I've been getting popup warning messages every 2 or 3 minutes when I'm on-line -- never when I'm not connected.

All the message windows are labelled "Messenger Service"; they then start with either "Message from SECURITY to ALERT on ..." or Message from SYSTEM to FAILURE on ...", and go on to say "STOP! WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION. Windows has found CRITICAL SYSTEM ERRORS To fix the errors please do the following ....".

Then it refers me to different web sites, including click here, click here, updatepatch.info, fixnow.net, regfixit.com, downloadpatch.com, and lists different steps I need to follow. Each time its a different site.

I haven't been to any of them yet because I'm not sure these messages are genuine? If they are, am I safe to go to any of those sites and follow the instructions, or can you advise what I should do to fix whatever the problem is. I suspect that my PC does have a problem because I've had several small issues(all resolved now) while re-installing all my software after the reformat, though everything is running fine at the moment apart from these messages.

If the messages aren't genuine, how do I stop them? I've got Kerio firewall, and up-to-date AVG and AdAware. I've done a full AVG and AdAware scan.

SG Atlantis® 08:37 08 Dec 05

those sites aren't any good in my opnion.

Run you anti-...... programs

Goto here click here run that to.

Then goto start, run and type in sfc /scannow

PaulB2005 08:53 08 Dec 05

12) Turn of the Messenger Service - click here
2) Install all MS updates including SP2

PaulB2005 08:53 08 Dec 05

By the way the error messages are fake.

Das Boot 09:26 08 Dec 05

Hi go to GRC click here and get shoot the messenger. run your anti spy ware to get rid of whatever is causing this and then run shoot.

PaulB2005 09:28 08 Dec 05

"your anti spy ware to get rid of whatever is causing this and then run shoot."

The messages are being sent from an external source and not internally.

stlucia 11:09 08 Dec 05

PaulB, I've also assumed the messages are from an external source, but how do they get past my firewall, which is currently still in learning mode, and thus asking me to OK almost everything, because it's just been reinstalled?

Could they be something on my PC which is only triggered when it detects I'm on line?

I've done a couple of Windows "critical" updates since my reinstall, but not SP2 yet. What is the Message Service used for? Can I switch it back on again after I've got SP2 installed?

Das Boot, I'll reinstall SpyBot tonight, and run that as well.

PaulB2005 11:13 08 Dec 05

The Messenger Service is used to send messages across a network. Sadly it now used by spammers to send messages like the ones you get. You don't want it on even with SP2 - there's no need for it.

As for the firewall - i don't know.

Also run MS Anti Spyware just in case.

Press Man 11:24 08 Dec 05

If you think that your firewall let whatever it is past, then I would suggest removing it and use ZoneAlarm which is free and very good. I would also install and update immeadiatley Spywareblaster click here this prevents "nasties" getting onto your machine.

stlucia 12:35 08 Dec 05

Thanks, PaulB. I'll leave it switched off.

Press Man, my firewall is Kerio which I've learned recently they're going to cease supporting at the end of this year. So I'll give ZoneAlarm a try -- I've read good things about it here.

I'll also be loading SpywareBlaster -- I think that's what I had on my PC before the reformat, not "SpyBot" that I mentioned above.

Press Man 12:41 08 Dec 05

stlucia,

Install Spybot S&D aswell, it can only help click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…