Crit. Updates & Service Packs

SABRE 09:20 29 Mar 04

I am trying to download Crit. Updates & Service packs onto a company laptop via a 56k modem. The total size of all these is 48mb. Problem is that I keep getting a BT Connect window appear saying that my PC has been idle for 20 mins and will therefore disconnect. At this rate they will take me a week to download.
Is ther any way that I can download them on my Broadband PC, then copy them across to the laptop?

Or, stop the ruddy modem from disconnecting?

Diodorus Siculus 09:25 29 Mar 04

click here
and order the MS CD with most updates.

Alternatively, you can download the updates from MS downloads centre and burn to CD.

SABRE 10:03 29 Mar 04

I thought Win. Updates only loaded straight to your PC. Didn't realise that you can save them. Saving & burning to CD.

temp003 10:46 29 Mar 04

click here for instructions for downloading and saving from Windows Update Catalogue. [I don't have Powerless's marvellous link at hand.]

With small downloads, you can use Windows Update Catalogue.

With larger downloads (such as service packs), use a download manager such as Download Accelerator Plus (free). With broadband, these download managers make quite a big difference. Skip Windows Update Catalog altogether and go directly to the download site (MS has a webpage for every download).

If you need to install SP1a for XP, download the network installation version. It's huge, but with broadband and a download manager, it doesn't take too long. Better than using the express install version, which, when you apply to laptop, will still require you to keep an internet connection to make further downloads.

click here for links to individual pages of Windows updates.

If you don't know which updates your laptop needs, let Windows Update list it out for you on the laptop, make a note, and download them from your own computer.

But start with SP1a and Update Rollup 1 (if your laptop uses XP).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…