C:\restore\temp files

osben 09:54 29 Jul 03

The other day my firewall indicated that someone was trying to scan my computer so as a precaution I carried out a virus scan but this was very very slow.

On checking for any abnormalities I did find over 63,000 .cpy files in the temp folder of my c:\restore folder.

I have temporarily turned Restore off and it is my intention to delete these files. the first one I tried to delete, I get a message come up that Windows cannot delete as the file may be in use. How can a .cpy file be in use??

Firstly is it safe to delete these files and Secondly how do I delete the files that my system will not let me.
Thirdly hopefully when I have deleted can I turn the "Restore" feature back on and make a restore point as usual

Would appreciate any help.

Regards

Jester2K II 09:57 29 Jul 03

"firewall indicated that someone was trying to scan my computer " take that with a pinch of salt.

Turn Restore Off, Reboot, Delete files, Turn Restore On, Reboot.

osben 10:09 29 Jul 03

Hi
Thanks for the quick reponse.

Are you saying that it is OK to delete the .cpy Files in my C:\restore\temp folder

I have turned restore off and rebooted but still get the message that I cannot delete due to "the file may be in use"

Jester2K II 10:11 29 Jul 03

Personally i don't use System Restore but i'm sure i've flushed the Restore Directory like this before.

Why do you want to flush the restore folder anyway?

Someone Scanning your PC is an outside event and nothing to do with anything on your PC. Bit like a burglar walking past to see if your doors and windows are secure. Doesn't mean he has an accomplice inside!

osben 10:20 29 Jul 03

I can't see the point of keeping over 63,000 file if I don't need them.

Any ideas how I get rid of the files as per my first request? (third paragraph)

I realise the point you make regard someone scanning my computer. I am not woried about that.

Regards

Jester2K II 10:22 29 Jul 03

Have you tried deleting them in Safe Mode??

Jester2K II 10:24 29 Jul 03

Also just Switching System Restore Off and then rebooting should flush it. Maybe some files are unmovable but it should remove the bulk.

bvw in bristol 10:34 29 Jul 03

If you're using Windows ME click here

osben 10:46 29 Jul 03

Thanks for that address bvw I will try that.

Unfortunately Jester2K II I have tried your suggestion and it does not solve the problem.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…