//some 3rd party need geo

Credit card concern

Wellpastit 20:11 08 Apr 04

I've just bought a Computer case from x-case purchased on the web, with instructions that I would collect. I was taken to the usual secure site for my credit details etc.
When I collected the case I expected a postal charge refund, but the salesman looked up my credit card details on his computer and filled out a transaction slip, charging without delivery.
I believe my credit card details had been installed on his computer, or at best he was able to access them.
This is a first for me, is it normal practice.
There seems no reason why a collecting house need pass on credit card details only the fact that payment has been made.

spuds 00:21 09 Apr 04

Some suppliers hold your credit card details, which they use in their system when you login to your account, so saving you submitting all your details everytime you make a purchase. You should be informed if they use this method.If you have not been informed, then I would be a little concerned about their website and administration security. I have dealt with a number of companies who have held my credit card details, but I have noticed that some of these companies are now changing their methods, and are now requesting cc details at time of purchase.

I use one allocated credit card for all my on-line purchases, so that I have some control on the cc usage.

daba 00:42 09 Apr 04

Read also the posts about 'discarded' PCs, and how much information is on them (even after wiping) and it pays to be diligent. OK the odds of it happening to the likes of you or I are small, but are you prepared to take that chance. Spuds has the correct approach, and that cc has a zero limit, spuds?

Exactly the same situation when staying in some hotels.

They take your cc details, then leave their PCs open, unlocked, with the required software running, while the receptionist disappears for what seems like hours at a time ( and sometimes it is hours !).

I now request all hotels i stay in to delete any cc detail from their systems, and i also point out to the management the security issues about unattended desks.

What really racks me off is the look of "oh god one of those" on their faces. Perhaps they've never been ripped off with cc fraud........

whoops, just realised, wrong forum, well i suppose it is computer related....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…