Creative/Asus Xonar Soundcard Help Needed Please.

Big L 266 15:51 22 Oct 09

Hello.

For some years,my Creative has housed all my cd collection and this works fine. Sadly,the Creative soundcard couldn't be transferred to my new computer. I eventually settled for an Asus Xonar D2X Audio Device soundcard which is exceptionally brilliant.All my cds are ripped at either 192Kbps or 320Kbps using WMA format.

But.....

My problem is this. On quieter passages or portions of music (Ravels 'Bolero' and Blossom Dearie playing jazz piano for example) the soundcard goes into overdrive to make such natural quiet passages as loud as the loudest parts of the track. In doing so, it drags in major amounts of 'hiss' making the quiet passages extremely loud and sometimes distorted. When the louder passages return, it cancels itself out and returns to normal playing mode. Its not so bad on hi fi speakers (but bad enough) but on earphones its awful.

Is there any way of tweaking the system to say to it something like 'yes,this is a quiet passage,please play it as such'!

I've tried every which way to modify the settings to no avail. Any help, suggestions and recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thank you very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…