Creative speakers buying decision - 4.1 or 5.1 ?

SOFTWARE SID 15:46 06 Apr 03

I'm looking into an audio upgrade. I have a Soudblaster Live! 5.1 capable soundcard under Windows 98 SE.

Currently, I'm using the 2xGenius SPG-06 speakers which came bundled with my system.

Budget is tight - looking to stay under £100, which I understand cuts my options considerably.

At the moment, front runners are the Creative Inspire 4400's - a 4.1 set, and the Inspire 5300's - a 5.1 set.

OEM versions of these retail at £40 and £60 respectively at my local independent computer shop.

Will be using them for a roughly 50-50 mix of music and gaming - not looking for audiophile quality, but a significant step up would be nice.

Any thoughts on the above speakers, any others I should consider, or the relative merits of 4.1 vs 5.1 would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Lú-tzé 16:09 06 Apr 03

My advice would be to go for 5.1 audio - I like it for mucic and with the correct settings on the creative setup, one can achieve a very good ambience.

I am not into gaming, but would have thought that 5.1 would improve that too.

Have a look at the videologic zxr-500 - about £60 and excellent 5.1 sound quality.

-pops- 16:23 06 Apr 03

5.1 no contest!

Brian

Djohn 16:40 06 Apr 03

I have the ZX500's 5.1 and they are excellent! if you can find some, then buy because the price is now down to approx. £60-00 due to replacement with, (I think) ZX 520, ZX 550. J.

SOFTWARE SID 19:10 06 Apr 03

Thanks for your help so far .. looks like the Videologic set's quite popular.

Am I right in saying that has no remote? I understand the Creative Inspire 5300s have one, albeit rather primitive. In daily operation, would that make much difference?

Simon_P 00:40 07 Apr 03

I use creative inspire 5700 they are expencive, but you do get what you pay for.

Wireless remote enough cable varyations to use on just about anything.

Type "inspire 5700 reviews" into google lots of info.

In a word thay are Class.

SOFTWARE SID 09:27 08 Apr 03

Those 5700s certainly look good when I check out the specs - but today's the day I've had this years tax forms from the Revenue - a salutary reminder not to spend too much money on "toys!"

Looks like it'll be the Videologic set - thanks for your help so far..

lester1 23:45 08 Apr 03

SOFTWARE SID

I took Djohns advice and can vouch for the ZX500 cool! bye the way Djohn excellent "Thank You"

SOFTWARE SID 12:17 09 Apr 03

Now awaiting delivery of mine... can't wait! Thanks for the above help. I'll chip in again when they're set-up, to let you know what I think.

SOFTWARE SID 19:07 09 Apr 03

Ordered the Videologics from Morgan Computers website at 2.20 pm yesterday. Price £59 inc delivery.

They were delivered today at 1.45pm - took about half an hour to read through and set up. Very happy with performance on music and games. Only need to tweak the bass control a little to really feel the subwoofer working!

May need to reconfigure geometry of my workspace to get the full "surround" experience, but the product itself I am delighted with.

Many thanks once more to everyone. Add my name to those endorsing the VXR 500s!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…