Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 problems with XP

REDDER 20:11 19 Jan 04

I cannot get any sounds to play through the centre speaker channel on my PC running with Windows XP,a Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1 soundcard and VideoLogic ZXR500 surround speakers. I have tried all the XP help and diagnostic tools to no avail and reinstalled the soundcard and drivers. The speakers and connections are all ok, and when conducting the speaker test using Creative's Audio HQ I get clear sound through all channels. However,this is not repeated in the XP sounds test or when playing any CDs, DVDs or Games. I have also tried downloading an XP driver update for this soundcard, but this makes all channels worse. Can anyone advise on a possible solution?

obbit 20:45 19 Jan 04

you only get sound from centre speaker if program or sound track has been written or recorded for the centre speaker.

obbit

REDDER 19:52 26 Jan 04

Good point that not all CDs, Games or DVDs have centre channel sounds recorded. Any suggestions as to why the XP diagnostic sound test won't produce a result through the centre channel when the Creative Audio HQ speaker test does? Secondly does anyone know where I could download a sound or movie clip with full six channel sound to test things out?

mgmcc 21:58 26 Jan 04

<<<Secondly does anyone know where I could download a sound or movie clip with full six channel sound to test things out?>>>

A DVD movie with Dolby Digital 5.1 should have much of the speech coming through the centre channel.

<<<Any suggestions as to why the XP diagnostic sound test won't produce a result through the centre channel>>>

Where is the XP sound test - I've just installed the same sound card? I have a sound test in WinDVD but that doesn't seem to do very much at all.

hugh-265156 22:21 26 Jan 04

see click here and click here

to get a 5.1 "effect" from 2ch audio enable cmss in creative playcentre.this will turn on the centre channel for non 5.1 materail. click here

REDDER 20:26 28 Jan 04

Tried a 5.1 DVD movie, and even with a 6 speaker setup, the centre channel and film dialogue was barely audible. Found out that you have to select SPDIF output to get full 6 channel performance. This worked OK for the first time I played the DVD, but the second time I loaded it in the same session all channels were dead using the SPDIF setting. A downloaded XP patch for the Cyberlink PowerDVD and a reboot appears to have solved this problem.

6 Channel Test.exe from the XP site works, although volume across channels varies greatly, despite volume controls all set high. Does this indicate I still have a problem?

Mike ® 20:39 28 Jan 04

You could always try uninstalling all creatives software, xp has the drivers already for this card. I run mine like this and my centre speaker works fine.

hugh-265156 00:07 29 Jan 04

for 5.1 materail disable cmss.then check your set up in control panel/audioHQ/speaker

adjust volume bass etc here and make sure its set to "5.1 speakers"

if using a digital coax connection and your speakers or amp do not have a DD5.1 or DTS decoder built in(pro logic amp with 6ch inputs etc) then click "settings" and tick "ac3 decode"and the card will decode the audio,leave unticked if you have a 5.1 amp or decoder in your speakers.

set ouput to "spdif" in powerdvd or similar software if using coax digital or "6speaker" if using analogue 3mm jacks to phonos.

ps.is your version of powerdvd oem? this does not support 5.1.retail does.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…