Creative Soundblaster LIve! 1024- Mic input

Rockstone 12:35 08 Feb 06

Whilst a PC to telephone call to the US via Skype appears to be O.K., I am on the maximum limit of my mic input volume control (having gone through the test wizard on Windows xp and also having upgraded from W98.) There don't appears to be any upgrades or drivers for Wxp so I can't establish if any improvement to mic input would exist anyway. My existing headset is a Logic 3 SB313. Are there any more suitable models, maybe with mic pre amps?

flyingbrit 12:40 08 Feb 06

Have you turned up the volume in the SB Live control consol?

Stuartli 15:04 08 Feb 06

Use the Skype audio settings Help page to check the configuration:

click here

Also Creative has an auto drivers update facility on its website:

click here=

Rockstone 10:47 09 Feb 06

I think my mention of Skype may have misled. Apologies for that. I will restate:
If I go Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio> click on Voice> go to Test Hardware which puts me through to the Test Hardware Wizard then the input volume control for the Microphone has to be on maximum to get a reasonable response. I would obviously prefer the control to be in an approximately halfway position to give leeway + or -. Do I need a better mic or a pre amp for the existing one? As an added comment, I wish some manufacturer would provide a throat mic as supplied to the RAF many years ago in order to cut out extraneous noise.

blanco 18:42 09 Feb 06

I found that my cheap mike wasn't very good when I installed Skype so I bought a Plantronic USB headset with mike which works fine.
Not quite a throat mike I know, but it's pretty good at excluding extraneous noise, if you don't mind looking as if you're working in a call centre.

flyingbrit 20:00 09 Feb 06

What I meant was, go to start, programs, creative, sound blaster live! 24 bit, creative surround mixer, then the third slider from the right of screen opened up, turn up the mike control.....I only have a small, cheap mic that came with web-cam but the sound is very good and the slider for mine is just over half way...hope this helps.....britsdad

Rockstone 11:25 10 Feb 06

Thank you all for your input on this. Brits dad gave me the answer and I must have been going through a cerebral menopause probably caused by too much screen staring to have taken in his first reply.

flyingbrit 12:00 10 Feb 06

as for menopausal, it comes to us all.....but that's a different thread topic....
rofl

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now