Creative seeks new laptop!

mrspuggles 22:50 17 Feb 09

Hi there. these are the things i need from my new laptop in order of preference.

.fast
.I spend about 3 - 4 hrs a day looking at and storing images online, so I want my new lap top to reflect this. I am an artist and I store images for inspiration purposes
.I would like at some point to be able to use photoshop and a drawing tablet with my new laptop.
.I watch video's online and also listen to and download music. I would like good sound.
.I often have many windows open at once to switch and refer to.

I am not made of money!!! But I am hoping you will give me advice on my criteria.

Thanks loads in advance : )

Forum Editor 23:58 17 Feb 09

currently available will fit your bill, except when it comes to 'good sound'.

I have three laptops which I use in the coursae of my work. All of them are relatively new, and although they all have built-in speakers I certainly wouldn't class the sound quality as 'good'. It's average, and to get better quality you'll need external speakers.

Laptops don't have the hard drive capacity of desktop machines in terms of space, but you can use memory sticks if you need more space.

brundle 01:03 18 Feb 09

Toshibas often have excellent audio (for a laptop), and good build quality.

Core2Duo Intel or AMD Turion for CPU, little to choose between the two in actual use, but Intel do have the upper hand at the moment.
3GB memory is widely available and well worth going for, especially now that MS Vista is the standard OS.

"I spend about 3 - 4 hrs a day looking at and storing images online, so I want my new lap top to reflect this. I am an artist and I store images for inspiration purposes"

As mentioned, it's more down to the applications you use, than the "quality" of the laptop itself.
Mozilla Firefox and an image-downloading extension would probably fit the bill.
Firefox; click here
Image extensions (search example); click here

skidzy 08:34 18 Feb 09

the options available to you could be endless with lots of recommendations.

Firstly,if we could have your budget,we can then work towards that and find something suitable from a reputable dealer.

You are really going to be looking for something like brundle has pointed out ie;

3GB of ram
Core2Duo T-series upwards
250GB hard drive (minimum)
Possibly look into an external drive also for extra storage of your photos.
The best graphics possible,this is limited due to being a laptop.

Dell is a good starting point with free delivery,reliable source and personally ive never had any issues with DEll....and we have bought a few machines from them.

Just as a pointer for now,this Laptop click here 3rd from the left at £549.00 Studio15 is something that will give you an idea of spec required.

mrspuggles 11:47 03 Mar 09

Thank you all for your invaluable help. Thank you thank you!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac