Creative Labs Inspire 5.1 5300 Speakers -no sound.

Hong 17:35 04 Oct 05

Following my previous posting on this problem on 27/9 and after suggestion by Cdstowe I determined that the ON/OFF/Volume switch was faulty. After jiggling the control the sound came on.
However it has now failed completely.
Creative Labs have now told me that they don't do spare parts for out of warranty items, ( it is 2 1/2 years old )
Any suggestions for either repair or spare part?

Hong.

amonra 17:40 04 Oct 05

Volume controls are fairly standard items and easily obtained from a source such as Maplins. If you can handle a soldering iron or know someone who can, it shouldn't take you more than half an hour to change.

amonra 17:45 04 Oct 05

Second thoughts, if it's only the on/off switch that's gone, bridge the two wires on the back of the on/off switch , and use the switch on the wall socket.

Hong 19:40 04 Oct 05

I had the control apart and there are lots of wires and a small circuit board.
It is also a FRONT/REAR balance adjuster. It plugs into the back of the powered Woofer.
I will have a look at Maplin.
Hong

Kenneth-266656 20:22 04 Oct 05

As a PCB and dual function is involved it looks as though you will have to get hold of an indentical replacement - with all the hassle that will involve. Isn't this typical of the computer industry. Would anyone buy a car if they knew that no spares would be available after the guarantee ran out?
Don't know how expensive these units are but that's not the point!

Hong 09:09 05 Oct 05

You are right, but where on earth does one find an identical spare. I think it is a scandal that Creative expect me to throw away six perfectly good Speakers for tha sake of part worth a few pounds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…