Creating a wireless network

diem2009 19:25 13 Oct 08

Hello All

Sorry for a total newbie question but I have recently moved house and changed ISPs to SKY Broadband. The problem is that the internal wiring must be poor as although telephone conversations are OK, the internet speed dies unless it is connected to the main connection point. I have spent the day faffing with various combinations of filters, phones and sky boxes being attached or unattached and the only thing that works is when the Sky router (black) is connected to the main phone socket.

The poblem is that although my laptop is wireless my desktop is not and it is not in the same room as the telephone point. I have a Netgear DG834G v3 that I used previously with AOL - can that be wirelessly conntected to my new black sky router?

Thanks.

Douglas

peter99co 22:10 13 Oct 08

Try a search on the Networking Forum for a possible answer. Search -Keyword -Go

bobbybowls 12:40 16 Oct 08

if the sky router is wireless why not use a usb wireless dongle on your pc click here

FreeCell 17:44 17 Oct 08

Maybe worth considering an Iplate.
click here

anchor 14:28 19 Oct 08

Is the link here any help?

click here

Pineman100 15:13 21 Oct 08

Have you tried an Iplate yourself? Do they really work?

diem2009 - I hope you don't mind me adding a question to your thread.

Technotiger 19:18 21 Oct 08

Begging diem2009's pardon, but yes the BTiPlate definitely works (but not for all), my speed increased three-fold!

FreeCell 14:24 22 Oct 08

diem2009 -
No haven't tried it myself but reviews are generally good, but as with most things, not for everyone. It's only about £12 so may be worth a try.

See links for reviews:
click here

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…