Creating a website

Dazwm 15:46 30 Dec 03

I am thinking of creating a website as a project for the next year. Does anyone know a good idiots guide to do this with step-by-step instructions maybe even with videos like some sites have. The easiest the better!!

Thanks

Forum Editor 15:55 30 Dec 03

you need in the WebDesign forum - I'll move your thread there now.

Taran 19:38 30 Dec 03

Do you have any web editing software at the moment, or are you thinking of either coding the site manually or buying a software product at some stage ?

You will probably need some kind of image processing software and perhaps one or two other bits and bobs.

A great deal depends on what the site will be for, the information you intend to put on it and so on.

If you can let us know whether you have any suitable software at the moment, like FrontPage, NetObjects Fusion, Dreamweaver or similar, one of us will point you in the right direction for some tutorials and walk throughs.

Regards

Taran

Dazwm 19:43 30 Dec 03

I know I have Frontpage but thats about it, like I say I am new to it. I suppose it will be about me and my hobbies and favourite football team etc.

Dazwm 19:53 30 Dec 03

This might sound a silly question but is there DVD or Video you can buy that you can actually watch someone create a website whilst you are on your computer?

Forum Editor 20:25 30 Dec 03

I've certainly never seen one, and to be honest, watching such a video would be a rather boring experience.

The best way to learn Web design is to dive in and have a go. You don't say which version of FrontPage you have, but if it's FP 2000 or later you'll find it a pretty straightforward exercise to create a basic site using one of the templates.

In my experience the steepest part of the learning curve for newcomers to web design is getting to grips with the concepts - how a site gets on to a server, what the server does, and how images need to be formatted for the web etc. Before you start the actual design work, spend some time learning about how the Internet works, and how your site can be visible to anyone, anywhere in the world. Once you have a fair understanding of those you will feel far more confident, and you won't be so lost in the terminology. You'll get plenty of help here - just ask as the questions arise.

Taran 21:58 30 Dec 03

The helpfiles in FrontPage offer some very easy walkthroughs to designing your webs.

If you want a tutorial that takes you from start to finish in designing a site, including some of the more useful features of FrontPage, Microsoft offer a small download that does this.

For FrontPage 2000 click here

It's a small program file that extracts a web folder to your hard drive. If you browse the contents of the folder once you extract it, you will find that it contains a website made with FrontPage that teaches you to make a site in FrontPage. There is another version of the download for FrontPage 2002, if memory serves, so if that is your version post back and I'll give you that web link.

If you go to Google click here and use this as your search query, including the quote marks:

"frontpage tutorial"

you will get more results than you know what to do with which cover all kinds of everything.

Finally, if you go to the Microsoft site, they have a section of the site devoted to FrontPage click here

It covers tutorials, demonstrations (some of them are short online videos) and some free site templates and so on. Much of the information centres on their latest product, FrontPage 2003, but a lot is still valid for previous versions.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Taran

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…