Creating a video / music jukebox

Diodorus Siculus 13:00 10 Nov 05

Hi all, having purchased a new machine for a friend yesterday, I felt a little envious so have decided to do the same for myself!

The problem (insofar as it is a problem) is that I will have a spare Athlon 1333 mhz machine with a 160GB hard disk and 512MB RAM left gathering dust. To justify the expense, I came up with a brainwave: create a multimedia machine that I can connect via a KVM switch.

What I am looking for now are some pointers to what might be considered best practice and any pitfalls that might be out there! The old machine runs pretty quietly so noise is not an issue. I am wondering how easy it might be to create images of my DVD collection (bearing in mind the need for a larger hard disk)? Is it possible?

All advice welcome as always, Dio.

ACOLYTE 13:40 10 Nov 05

By "images" do you mean copy them to hard drive or just links/photos of/to the dvd's?

Diodorus Siculus 13:49 10 Nov 05

ACOLYTE - yes, if that is possible. I have a Virtual CD program and wondered if there was a similar option for DVDs.

Any suggestions for what software is best for organisation of the media?

Diodorus Siculus 18:20 10 Nov 05

Bump...

Diodorus Siculus 11:46 12 Nov 05

Anyone for the weekend... still thinking about what might be best.

De Marcus™ 11:52 12 Nov 05

Not much in the way of suggestions DS, but I do have a Digital Kvm switch which is gathering dust that your welcome too, it needs a power supply (normal 12volt) and the pins on one the cables need straightening, other than that functions perfectly well. If it's any good let me know, I'll be visiting the Post Office today with FE's box of CD's I should have posted the other day.

Diodorus Siculus 11:54 12 Nov 05

De Marcus™ - thanks for a very kind offer.

I have a KVM switch that I've been using for some time - helpful when fixing PCs for friends.

De Marcus™ 11:55 12 Nov 05

No probs, if anyone else is interested just click the envelope.

Diodorus Siculus 14:03 10 Dec 05

At last got a kvm switch (that works this time).

Still looking for some guidance for what I'm doing so any bright ideas welcome as always :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…