creating a password protected hyperlink

dannyt_96 10:52 17 Mar 05

i want to create a password protected hyperlink for my website so that only certain people can access parts of my website

And thanks in Advnace

dannyt_96 11:51 17 Mar 05

bump

dannyt_96 13:43 17 Mar 05

I want to create a membership site.... i.e similar to this one as you have to register to download the software (all legal, just freeware and trials, nothing dodgy)....

I want to be able to allow a user to register themselves (again like this website)

dannyt_96 13:44 17 Mar 05

I am thinking about adding a forum at a later date...

Forum Editor 18:35 17 Mar 05

you want people to register to receive free software - which they could presumably download froms some other site anyway. What's the point of making people login for such a service? You'll find that people will be deterred when they see the registration requirement, because they'll fear that you are going to sell their personal information to spamming lists, or that you'll spam them yourself.

The act of asking for peoples' personal information carries responsibilities - you must take proper steps to safeguard the data, and you'll need to reassure your visitors that you will respect their personal privacy. My advice is that unless you have a good commercial reason to require registration you should forget the idea.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant