Creating a network and sharing two printers

CraigG 12:29 08 Jul 09

Hi

I have a wireless router with two laptops using Windows XP connected to it wirelessly, a PC with Windows 98 connected with an ethernet cable, and Playstation 3 and a Wii.

I want to be able to share files between the laptops and PC over the 'network' without having to burn a CD or use a memory stick.

Also, I have two printers (connected to the PC with USB cables). Is there a way I can connect these to the network so I can print to them without having to take the USB cables out of the PC and plug them into the laptops (appreciate I may need to buy 'something' as they have a USB cable rather than ethernet cable)?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Craig

mgmcc 13:56 08 Jul 09

Make sure all of your computers are in the *SAME* Workgroup.

For "File Sharing", basically all you need to do is to right click those folders you want to have available over the network and select the "Sharing and Security" option. Once "shared" their icon will have a hand under the icon. For "Printer Sharing" have a read of this - click here

Any firewall software will need to be configured to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted" section.

XP does have a Networking wizard which you might find helpful, but I've never used it and find some of its options confusing.

CraigG 15:25 08 Jul 09

Hi, thanks for help.

I can now see the Win 98 shared folders on the XP laptop, but can't access them. I get the message 'The network path not found'. Any ideas?

I can't see the shared folders of the XP laptop on other laptops/PC but I think that's something to do with the firewall.

Craig

mgmcc 08:43 09 Jul 09

Try typing the path to a Win 98 shared folder directly into the address bar in XP's "My Network Places" in the format:

\\computername\sharedfolder\

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…