Creating a network

Skinn 10:50 02 Jan 05

I have recently bought a new PC and am keeping the old one. Is there a simple, inexpensive way of linking the two computers together for transferring data and sending internal emails etc?
I know it sounds daft but did I read somewhere that this can be done through to electrical wall socket?

thansk in advance,

Skinn.

goonerbill © ® 11:26 02 Jan 05

the cheap option is 2 network cards and a RJ45 crossover cable. yes there are networking options using electric wallsockets but there was a recent networking article in another pc mag and they do have there problems. best to search web on networking, there are lots of good info sites out there.

howard60 16:45 02 Jan 05

the power supply system does work but only if all your electrical supply is on the same phase. For normal domestic consumers this is the standard but in very large premises or commercial the 3 phase system is used. I have seen them advertised for about £60 - 2 network cards and a crossover cables could be obtained for less than £25. Wireless network cards are about £45 each.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:54 02 Jan 05

HOW TO SETUP AND SHARE A BROADBAND INTERNET CONNECTION
click here

Skinn 00:00 03 Jan 05

Thanks for the replies. My old Pc was bought in 1999 and is W98SE - would this have the required hardware/software to form a network?

The PC's are in different parts of the house so would the power supply system be the easiest and cheaper than Wireless network cards?

Skinn.

Gaz 25 23:01 03 Jan 05

Is click here any help?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…