Creating message rule in Outlook Express

Derek100 17:06 03 Dec 04

Can anyone advise how to set up a single message rule to filter out into my delete folder, all incoming mail that is not from those listed in my mail address book.? I had such a rule but have unfortunately lost it since reinstalling windows xp.
Thanks for your assistance.

pimpers 17:25 03 Dec 04

Derek100.

Follow these instructions.

Open up Outlook Express and click on "message"
In the drop down menu click on "create message rules from message"

Just follow the instructions and tick where you ned to.

Good luck.

Pimpers.

pimpers 17:25 03 Dec 04

Derek100.

Follow these instructions.

Open up Outlook Express and click on "message" in the top toolbar.
In the drop down menu click on "create message rules from message"

Just follow the instructions and tick where you ned to.

Good luck.

Pimpers.

daba 22:07 03 Dec 04

.. and initially looks like you are creating the opposite of what you need, but it becomes clear later.

Click on Tools->Message Rules->Mail, then select "New".

In box 1, "Select the conditions for your rule", select "Where the 'From' line contains people". Then drop down to box 3 to follow the link 'contains people' to get to 'select people'. In there, select 'Address Book'.

To add all the names in your address book click on the first name to highlight it, then scroll to the last name, press and hold 'shift' and click on the last name. This will highlight all the names in your A-B. Now click the 'From' button in the centre to add all the names to the rule, then click OK once.

Back at the 'Select People' dialog box, there is now an 'Options' button available. Click it and you can now customise the rule further, I think you need to check 'Message does not contain the people below', and 'Message matches all of the people below'. You can modify the second option later if it doesn't work as expected.

Click OK twice to get back to the rule creation dialog. Now I recommend initially moving the unwantee mail to a new folder so you can test the rule works OK,.

So, in box 2, Actions, select "Move it to the specified folder". You'll need to scroll box 3 to the bottom of your list of people so you can follow the 'specified' link to the 'Move' folder browser. In there its easy to create a 'New Folder' anywhere you want.

After creating a temporary folder for the rule test, come back out to the rule creation dialog, give your rule a name, then you can run the rule from there to see if it does what you want.

If all is OK, edit the rule to specify 'delete it' instead of 'move it'.

HTH

daba 22:20 03 Dec 04

In the 'select peolpe', 'options' dialog I think it should be 'Message matches any of the people below', not as I said earlier (all this negative logic gets my brain spinning !).

Anyway, you should test it thoroughly before going for the 'delete' option.

EdFrench 19:02 22 Jan 05

The best NegLog is the one under the 'Connections' tab:
'Connect only when not working offline' ????

Surely 'Connect only when working online' would make more sense?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…