Creating a home file server

Randum Ian 10:38 27 May 04

I am starting to fill up both hard drives in my system so I am toying with the idea of just having a box full of hard drives and being able to access them through a network card or even possibly wireless. Would this be possible? What is the maximum number of hard drives I can put into one box?

computernerdiamnot 10:58 27 May 04

Most motherboards have two ide channels that allow you to connect up to four ide drives so i would think three hard drives with the other being a cd rom drive.

If you are usind Scsi that then supports up to 16 devices per channel. Only a small number of motherboards have scsi built in them.

ste_bla 11:34 27 May 04

You could get a mobo with SATA which would give you extra 2-4 drives depending on model..

Or get a IDE Controller gives you 2 channels and so 4 ports, all you need is a free PCI and 20quid

ste_bla 11:35 27 May 04

Drives NOT ports

Randum Ian 15:01 27 May 04

So how do office networks get so many drives then? Are they using lots of bases with drives in or something equally as clever?

Epocs 15:03 27 May 04

Probably through partitioning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…